Eleventh-hour negotiations between the United States and Canada have ended without a trade agreement, clearing the way for steep new American tariffs on billions of dollars worth of Canadian exports to take effect. The collapse of talks comes as a surprise, just days after former U.S. President Donald Trump expressed confidence that a deal would be reached, pointing to his positive working relationship with Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney.
The 50 percent duties, which target roughly $20 billion in Canadian goods — equal to 5.5 percent of all Canadian exports to the U.S. — officially came into force on Saturday after multiple days of intensive negotiations failed to bridge remaining gaps. The tariffs cover a wide range of products, from construction materials like cement to sporting goods including hockey sticks.
In an official statement released Friday, U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer said Canada refused to finalize a pact based on terms that had been tentatively agreed to earlier in the week. Greer added that the Trump administration had already put forward a generous proposal that included significant tariff cuts for key sectors including steel, aluminum, automobiles and lumber, in exchange for reciprocal concessions from Ottawa. A senior anonymous U.S. official noted that no additional negotiating sessions have been scheduled for the near future, and clarified that Canada requested additional concessions that Washington was not prepared to accept. Despite the breakdown, the official emphasized that talks remained respectful and free of hostility.
Prime Minister Carney pushed back against the U.S. framing in his own statement, announcing that Canada would respond with reciprocal tariffs “dollar for dollar” to shield Canadian workers and domestic businesses. Carney blamed the breakdown on last-minute, unfair changes to the proposed terms introduced by U.S. negotiators, changes he said undermined confidence that any final deal would be honored. While Carney acknowledged that negotiators from both sides had made meaningful progress over recent weeks, he said that progress fell short of what is required to protect Canada’s national economic interests.
Canadian lead negotiator Dominic LeBlanc echoed Carney’s assessment after hours of talks Friday, telling reporters that there was still “more work to do” to reach a mutually acceptable agreement. LeBlanc and Greer had already held roughly three hours of intensive one-on-one negotiations the day before, on Thursday.
U.S. officials have long noted that the Trump administration moved forward with the new tariffs in response to what Washington calls discriminatory trade practices by Canada against American alcohol, automobile and dairy products. The tariffs were originally scheduled to go into effect this past Wednesday, but Trump issued a last-minute three-day delay to give negotiators more time to reach a breakthrough, citing encouraging major progress in talks at that time. Canadian negotiators had been stationed in Washington all week to work through longstanding trade flash points between the two allies.
For Canada, the tariffs have already inflicted broad economic harm: existing Trump administration duties on Canadian autos, steel and aluminum have contributed to business contractions and job losses across the country, and have severely strained what was once considered an unbreakable bilateral trade relationship. Carney has repeatedly emphasized to the Canadian public that the country’s trade relationship with the U.S. has been permanently altered, regardless of the outcome of any single agreement. He has pushed for Canada to diversify its export markets and cut its heavy reliance on the United States, which currently absorbs roughly 70 percent of all Canadian exports.
Beyond the immediate tariff dispute, the two countries still face the larger task of negotiating revisions to the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA), the existing trilateral trade deal that Trump has refused to renew in its current form.
Trade analysts say the breakdown raises new challenges for de-escalation. Ryan Majerus, a former U.S. commerce official and now a trade lawyer at King & Spalding, noted that Canada’s decision to impose matching retaliatory tariffs will make it far harder to calm tensions in the near term. Even so, Majerus predicts that both governments will face intense pressure from stakeholders to find a compromise off-ramp in the coming days.
Christopher Padilla, another former U.S. trade official now with Brunswick Group, added that business communities on both sides of the border had held high hopes that a deal would be reached to end 18 months of tense trade friction between the two neighbors. That momentum, he said, will likely push both sides back to the negotiating table sooner rather than later.
