Palestinian-American hoists US flag on home besieged by settlers

In the occupied West Bank village of Qusra, a standoff between a Palestinian-American dual citizen and extremist Israeli settlers has drawn international attention, after the property owner raised the United States flag over his besieged home just days after returning to the contested territory. The incident has even sparked rare criticism of the settlers from a prominent pro-settler U.S. envoy, putting new focus on escalating settler violence ahead of Israel’s upcoming national election.

Louai Abu Ridi, who co-owns one of three trapped homes in Qusra near Nablus, cut short his time at his adopted residence in Ohio to return to the West Bank on Monday. For more than a week before his arrival, Israeli settlers had blocked all access to the properties, cutting off residents from food deliveries, essential supplies, and outside contact. By Tuesday, Abu Ridi had hoisted the Stars and Stripes above his home, a deliberate and public appeal for intervention from the U.S. government, which he has already pressed to take up his case through the U.S. Embassy in Israel.

Speaking to reporters from AFP inside his encircled home, Abu Ridi explained the gesture was meant to shine a light on the reality of settler intimidation tactics for American audiences. “It’s my message to all Americans in the United States to see what’s going on here in the West Bank, how the settlers put us under siege trying to take my own house in the West Bank,” he said. He also accused Israeli military forces, which announced plans to remove the blockades last week under U.S. diplomatic pressure, of actively enabling the settlers. While troops removed one settler encampment and detained a single individual, settlers have repeatedly returned to the site on foot and by vehicle. Abu Ridi noted that Israeli soldiers allow settlers to move freely through the area, even exchanging friendly greetings with the intruders rather than enforcing the eviction order.

Escalating harassment and land grabs by Israeli settlers targeting Palestinian residents in the West Bank have surged in recent months, a trend closely tied to Israel’s upcoming October 27 parliamentary election. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s far-right government has actively championed expansion of Jewish settlements in the occupied territory to shore up support from right-wing Jewish voters ahead of the close-fought vote.

The Qusra siege has triggered condemnation across the globe, and has produced an uncommon rebuke even from U.S. Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee, an evangelical Christian long known for his unwavering support of the settlement movement. Huckabee confirmed this week he has called on Israeli officials to end the blockade, stressing that the U.S. has a responsibility to protect its citizens living abroad.

In television interviews aired Tuesday on Israeli news outlets, Huckabee called for harsh consequences for the settlers, labeling their intimidation campaign as terrorist activity. “It’s not fair to the families who are Palestinian, who own their homes, who have a right to raise their families without fear,” he said, a notable shift from his past position rejecting the formal identity of Palestinian people. Huckabee added that the small faction of extremist settlers are damaging their own pro-settlement cause with their actions: “If this little minority, if they think they’re doing their cause a favour, they are making a horrific mistake.”

The confrontation unfolds against a decades-long backdrop of occupation and contested settlement in the West Bank. Israel seized control of the territory from Jordan during the 1967 Six-Day War, and today it is home to roughly three million Palestinians and 500,000 Israeli settlers. The vast majority of the international community regards all Israeli settlements built in the occupied West Bank as illegal under international law, a position the U.S. has occasionally wavered on in recent years.