‘No-brainer’: Cameron Munster backs ‘brainiac Bill’ to nail next role as Cameron Smith emerges as favourite to coach Queensland

Nearly a decade after lifting a premiership trophy together as teammates, a potential reunion of Cameron Munster and Billy Slater at the Melbourne Storm is now the subject of rampant rugby league speculation, following Slater’s sudden resignation as head coach of the Queensland Maroons State of Origin side.

Queensland Rugby League made the announcement last Friday that the Maroons legend would step down from the role after five consecutive Origin series in charge, triggering widespread discussion across Australian rugby league about what the 2024 premiership-winner will do next. Among the most eye-catching rumors to emerge is a possible return to Melbourne to replace the club’s iconic long-term head coach Craig Bellamy when he retires in 2028. Melbourne Storm CEO Justin Rodski addressed the speculation publicly over the weekend, though no official confirmation has been provided by either party.

While Slater has previously stated he has no interest in taking a full-time NRL head coaching role, current Queensland captain and Melbourne Storm five-eighth Cameron Munster says the idea of Slater leading his old club makes perfect sense. Speaking on the speculation, Munster highlighted Slater’s unparalleled rugby league acumen, honed through a decorated career as a player and more recently as a commentator for Nine Network. “There’s probably no better brainiac than Bill when it comes to footy,” Munster said. “He’s footy mad and dissects the game so well. You could see that in the way he had some great years for Queensland as a player and coach, and it shines through in his commentary work too. Whatever he decides to do, I’m sure a lot of people will be lining up for his services, and why wouldn’t you?”

Munster also expressed understanding for why Slater chose to step down from the Maroons job, noting the former fullback’s overlapping commitments with commentary and multiple side businesses left him unable to dedicate his full attention to the Origin role. “He had too much on his plate, and he doesn’t want to do a disservice to Queensland. He’s got his fingers in other pies and businesses, so he felt like he wasn’t going to be fully in with Queensland,” Munster explained. “Knowing Billy, if he’s not fully in with something then he won’t take it up.”

Despite that understanding, the Queensland skipper made clear the entire squad is disappointed to see Slater depart. “It’s very disappointing. We all have a lot of love and admiration for him, and he’s done a lot for me and my game as both a player and coach. It’s very disappointing for Queensland, but someone else gets the chance to coach Queensland,” he said.

Attention has already turned to potential candidates to fill the vacant Maroons head coaching role, with Storm Immortal-in-waiting Cameron Smith emerging as the early bookmakers’ favorite, alongside North Queensland Cowboys legend Johnathan Thurston. For Munster, opening talks with Smith about the job is an obvious next step for QRL. “When you look at guys like him and JT and Bill, they’re guys that have been in that arena for a long time and had a lot of success,” Munster said. “It would be a no-brainer having a chat with Smithy. I’m not sure if he wants to do it, but I’m sure they won’t have any bad suitors or anyone who can’t do the job. It’s an exciting time for Queensland. Whoever takes it up will do a great job.”

The coaching speculation extends beyond Queensland, as it could also shape Munster’s own long-term future at Melbourne. The 31-year-old will become eligible to negotiate with rival clubs from November 1, and his contract beyond 2027 remains unresolved. Munster has previously stated he will stay at the Storm as long as Bellamy remains head coach, and any move by Slater to take over from Bellamy in 2028 could influence his decision to re-sign. He has also been linked with a potential career-ending move to a Papua New Guinean side in recent months.

Melbourne has repeatedly stated it wants to retain Munster, who has spent his entire career at the club after making his debut in 2014, though young prospect Hayden Watson has turned heads with strong recent performances, giving the Storm depth at five-eighth if Munster does depart.

Speaking on his own future, Munster said coaching will play a role in his decision, but family priorities will ultimately be the deciding factor. “The coach does play a part, but the coach also wants to have me here as well,” he said. “We’ve got some good young kids coming through our pathways, but also I love the club and have so much respect for them. They were the club that gave me my first chance, and I’m all about giving back to that. I probably could have gone to other clubs for more money, but I’ve also got to make sure I do the right thing for my family. I’ve got three young kids, they need to go to school and get a better education than me, so I’ve got to put them first. If that’s the right opportunity to stay here, then I’d love to stay here. But I’ve got to talk to the board and recruitment team here and see if it’s the best thing for my wife and kids.”