A pre-sentence hearing at Victoria’s County Court this week has shed new light on the harsh prison conditions and plummeting mental health of disgraced former celebrity talent agent Ralph Carnovale-Carr, who was found guilty of rape and sexual assault last month. The 66-year-old high-profile industry figure, who built a 35-year talent management business representing some of Australia’s biggest sports and entertainment names, was convicted by a Melbourne jury on July 28 following a two-week trial.
Jurors heard that Carnovale-Carr assaulted a woman decades younger than him after a night of drinking and cocaine use in March 2023. After the verdict, he was taken into custody immediately, and new details from his three weeks behind bars were presented to the court on Monday.
According to defense barrister Dermot Dann KC, who is representing Carnovale-Carr, the former agent has been confined to his cell for up to 23 hours every day, a situation he described as “terrible” for a defendant who continues to maintain his innocence. Citing a forensic psychiatric assessment completed by Dr. Jacqueline Rakov, Dann told the court that Carnovale-Carr experiences three to four panic attacks daily, struggles with chronic insomnia and recurring nightmares, and engaged in self-harm shortly after entering custody, overwhelmed by what Dann called the “dizzying” shock of the guilty verdict and incarceration.
Dr. Rakov’s assessment confirms that Carnovale-Carr, who was previously diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder, major depressive disorder, and an anxiety disorder, has seen a severe escalation of his mental health conditions since the criminal proceedings began. She warned that incarceration poses a “clinically significant and dynamic” risk to the former agent, noting that custody is likely to trigger further deterioration of his mental state. Carnovale-Carr has been under Dr. Rakov’s care since November 2023, and has already been admitted to inpatient psychiatric care multiple times as his symptoms worsened during key stages of the court process. His condition is now far more serious than it was at the start of proceedings, Dann argued.
In an August 12 meeting with Dr. Rakov, Carnovale-Carr shared that he believes his decades-long career and personal reputation have been completely destroyed by the conviction. He also told the psychiatrist he feels like he is “dying” amid ongoing complications with high blood pressure and his daily medication regimen.
Dann told the court that his client pinned all his hopes on securing a stay of sentencing while he pursues an appeal against his conviction, noting that Carnovale-Carr’s assessment that his career is over is not undue pessimism, but a realistic reflection of his current position. “If that goal, that hope is removed, we would say the situation is particularly concerning, particularly dark,” Dann told the court.
In addition to outlining his client’s current struggles, the defense emphasized Carnovale-Carr’s personal background: the son of working-class immigrant parents, he built his successful talent management company from humble beginnings, ran the business successfully for 35 years, and helped launch the careers of dozens of young aspiring performers and athletes. Thirteen people, including several of Carnovale-Carr’s family members, have submitted character references to the court on his behalf. High-profile client Dustin Martin, a retired star Australian Rules footballer with the Richmond Tigers, cut professional ties with Carnovale-Carr immediately after the guilty verdict.
For three years during the progression of the case, Carnovale-Carr’s identity was kept hidden from media reports via a series of suppression orders granted on mental health grounds. The final suppression order was lifted by Judge Frank Gucciardo just days after the jury returned its guilty verdict. The pre-sentence hearing is ongoing.
