Tensions across the Persian Gulf have spiked sharply this week, as Iran issued a stark public warning to neighboring Gulf states just hours after the United Arab Emirates announced it was severing all economic ties with Tehran, deepening a conflict that has already roiled the strategic region for months.
Ali Abdollahi, chief of staff of Iran’s armed forces, delivered the warning Wednesday in comments carried by Iran’s state-run Mehr News Agency. Abdollahi emphasized that any form of support or logistical assistance provided to what he labeled the “aggressor United States military” would be treated as direct participation in Washington’s ongoing military operations against Iran.
He questioned the plausibility of the large contingent of U.S. military aircraft — including critical refueling planes — operating from bases across the Gulf region without the explicit knowledge and approval of host nations, adding that Iranian intelligence maintains full situational awareness of all activity in the area. “Gulf countries should know that we are fully aware of the situation,” Abdollahi said.
The warning comes in the wake of a series of escalating moves between the UAE and Iran that began earlier this week. On Tuesday, Abu Dhabi claimed that Iran had launched two ballistic missiles toward its coastline, with one projectile landing inside UAE territorial waters and the other falling in international waters. Iran’s foreign ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei issued an immediate categorical rejection of the UAE’s accusation, denying any Iranian missile launch toward the country.
Shortly after the missile claim, the UAE announced it would suspend all trade, commercial and financial transactions with Iran until further notice. “In light of regional escalations… all trade, commercial exchanges, and financial transactions with Iran have been halted until further notice,” said UAE foreign ministry official Afra al-Hameli.
This latest break in economic ties marks a significant deepening of the rift between the two nations. Prior to the outbreak of the regional war in late February, the UAE — home to a large, long-established Iranian diaspora community — was one of the largest trading partners for Iran, which has been crippled by sweeping U.S. economic sanctions for years. Since the war began, which followed the launch of heavy joint attacks on Iran by the U.S. and Israel, the UAE has already implemented a series of punitive measures against Tehran, including recalling its ambassador from Tehran and closing Iran-linked educational institutions and a medical facility in the Emirates. In the early months of the conflict, Iran responded with heavy strikes on targets across the UAE.
Beyond the escalating bilateral tensions between Iran and Gulf states, new reporting this week has shed light on a potential major shift in U.S. military posture in the region. The Washington Post reported Tuesday that the Trump administration is actively evaluating a full withdrawal of U.S. troops from the Gulf, in the wake of repeated Iranian drone and missile attacks on large U.S. military bases located in the region. The policy review is being led by the Pentagon’s policy office, which has described the ongoing war as “a once-in-a-generation chance for the Pentagon to reconsider its presence in the region.” The outlet added that U.S. officials have already signaled they may not rebuild damaged Iranian-attacked bases to their pre-war operational capacity. This reporting corroborates an earlier investigation published in June by Middle East Eye, which cited current and former U.S. officials predicting a major overhaul of the long-standing U.S. basing framework in the Gulf. Former senior U.S. officials have publicly floated the prospect of a troop drawdown for months.
The shifting U.S. posture and rising regional tensions were further highlighted by an incendiary social media post from President Trump earlier Tuesday. Trump shared an altered map of the Strait of Hormuz — the strategic global energy chokepoint through which roughly one-fifth of the world’s oil and liquefied natural gas passes — labeled “NEW U.S. Territory” on his Truth Social account.
The post drew immediate mockery and pushback from Iranian officials. Mohsen Rezaei, secretary of Iran’s Supreme National Security Council, wrote on X that the disconnect between Washington’s failure to reopen the strait and its claim to sovereignty over it is wider than the 11,265-kilometer distance between Washington D.C. and the waterway. “Welcome to the post-American order in the Persian Gulf,” Rezaei added.
Iran’s top nuclear and foreign policy negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf reaffirmed Tehran’s position Tuesday, stating that the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed to international shipping until the U.S. fulfills its previously agreed commitments outlined in a bilateral memorandum of understanding, including the lifting of Iran’s naval blockade.
The fallout from escalating tensions has also reached East Asia. South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun confirmed Wednesday that President Trump’s recent order to scale back joint U.S.-South Korea military drills includes implicit pressure on Seoul to commit greater support to the U.S.-led war on Iran. Cho noted that Trump’s order covers multiple overlapping priorities, including messaging toward North Korea and an effort to break the current stalemate in the Iran war, but added that neither South Korean nor U.S. national security officials had advance warning of the president’s announcement.
