How Trump’s IRS settlement could block tax audits of him, his family and their businesses

In an unprecedented legal move that has sent shockwaves through Washington, the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) announced a last-minute settlement this week of a historic lawsuit brought by former President Donald Trump over the leak of his personal and business tax returns — a settlement that permanently bars the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) from reviewing any past tax filings submitted by Trump, his immediate family, and their affiliated business entities before May 19, 2026.

The settlement marks the first time a sitting or former U.S. president has ever sued the federal government, and its unprecedented terms have triggered fierce condemnation from lawmakers, legal scholars, and government watchdog groups, who argue the deal violates core federal tax law and amounts to a brazen act of self-dealing that places Trump above the law.

The case dates back to January 2026, when Trump and his two eldest sons launched a $10 billion legal action against the IRS over the unauthorized disclosure of their private tax documents. On Monday this week, DOJ announced the suit had been resolved. As part of the deal, the agency agreed to establish a nearly $1.8 billion public fund, labeled the “Anti-Weaponization Fund,” to compensate individuals who claim they were unfairly targeted by political investigations. A day after the public settlement announcement, DOJ quietly released a one-page addendum that halts all pending IRS audits of Trump, his family, their trusts, corporate holdings, and subsidiary companies. The document explicitly states the U.S. government is “FOREVER BARRED AND PRECLUDED” from carrying out routine tax enforcement actions, including examinations of filings, claims for unpaid taxes, and legal recourse against underpayment for all tax documents submitted by the Trump party before the May 19, 2026 cutoff. DOJ has clarified that the ban applies only to existing audits, not future tax reviews.

Federal law does not publicly disclose ongoing IRS investigations, so it remains unclear what specific reviews of Trump and his business empire the agency may have had underway when the settlement was reached. DOJ has defended the unusual addendum, framing it as a standard clause used to bring full closure to settled legal disputes. “There would be little point in settling several significant claims if either party could simply turn around and seek to initiate more adverse claims that could have been pursued previously,” a DOJ spokesperson said in an official statement.

But critics across legal and political circles have pushed back hard against that framing, warning the deal undermines long-standing safeguards to protect the integrity of the U.S. tax system. Ron Wyden, the top Democratic member of the Senate Finance Committee, called the settlement “clearly a violation of the law that prohibits interference by executive branch officials in IRS audits.” Wyden added, “Democrats are going to fight every element of this self-dealing settlement, but regardless of the outcome of those efforts, future administrations and IRS leadership should consider this illegal directive completely invalid.”

U.S. law bars the president, vice president, and most high-ranking executive branch officials from directly or indirectly requesting the termination of an IRS audit, though the attorney general holds a narrow exception to this rule. The addendum was signed by current Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche, leading supporters of the deal to argue it technically adheres to statutory requirements. But critics argue the structure of the settlement is an end-run around the law, noting Trump himself indirectly orchestrated the end of potential investigations through the lawsuit. “Trump filed a bad-faith lawsuit and, with the settlement, aims to escape from IRS audits,” said Robert Weissman and Lisa Gilbert, co-presidents of government watchdog group Public Citizen, in a joint statement.

Tax experts also point to multiple other departures from standard legal and tax procedure. The IRS typically closes outstanding tax cases either through a negotiated agreement with the taxpayer or via referral to DOJ, and there is no public record the IRS took either step in this case. Unlike routine tax settlements, the broad blanket ban on audits was attached to a personal lawsuit against the IRS, not a formal tax dispute, and was approved without any input from IRS leadership. “It purports to put the President, his entities, and his family above the tax laws—even though DOJ alone doesn’t have authority to offer those extraordinary protections,” said Brandon DeBot, Policy Director at the nonpartisan Tax Law Center. DeBot called the entire deal “a breathtaking abuse of the tax and legal system.”

The $1.776 billion compensation fund included in the settlement has sparked its own controversy, with critics across the political spectrum condemning it as an unauthorized “slush fund” that could be used to distribute money to Trump’s political allies, including rioters convicted for their role in the January 6, 2021, breach of the U.S. Capitol. Even Senate Majority Leader John Thune, one of the top Republican leaders in Congress, has publicly expressed skepticism about the fund’s legality and purpose. Already, the first claim has been filed by Michael R. Caputo, a former adviser to Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign and a former official in Trump’s first term, who is seeking $2.7 million in compensation over investigations into Russian interference in the 2016 election. In a statement, Caputo said he was “profoundly grateful” that Trump “will not let this political weaponization stand.”

Legal challenges to the settlement and the fund are already mounting. Two Capitol Police officers who were on duty during the January 6, 2021, riot filed a federal lawsuit on Wednesday arguing the fund is illegal on multiple grounds: no federal statute authorizes its creation, the underlying settlement is a “corrupt sham,” and its structure violates both the U.S. Constitution and federal law. The officers also warn the fund threatens their personal safety by providing financial compensation to convicted rioters who have repeatedly issued death threats against them, and could open the door to funding for violent paramilitary groups.