Laser hair removal device sparks bomb scare at Melbourne airport

One of Australia’s busiest regional air travel hubs was thrown into chaos on Thursday, when two unexpected everyday items sparked a full-scale bomb alert that suspended domestic flight operations for nearly half a day. Avalon Airport, the second-busiest air gateway in the state of Victoria located 31 miles southwest of central Melbourne, was placed under partial lockdown after security screening staff flagged a suspicious piece of checked baggage just before 6 a.m. local time, which equals 8 p.m. GMT on the previous day. Emergency protocols were immediately activated, with local law enforcement and bomb disposal units dispatched to the scene to investigate the potential threat. International flight schedules remained unaffected throughout the incident, but all domestic operations were paused as a precaution, leading to widespread cancellations and delays for thousands of passengers. After a thorough examination by the bomb squad, the suspicious package was found to contain nothing more dangerous than a laser hair removal device and an insulated hot chocolate container, a far cry from the explosive device authorities had prepared for. The owner of the baggage, a Melbourne resident, was taken into custody for questioning immediately after the discovery, but was eventually released without any criminal charges, Victoria Police confirmed. According to Acting Inspector Nick Uebergang of Victoria Police, the uncooperative behavior of the baggage owner extended the duration of the security lockdown. “The person who had the bag wasn’t too cooperative with us to start off with, which made things a little bit difficult. They probably could have averted things and we could have got out of here a little bit quicker,” Uebergang told reporters. Full operations at the airport resumed approximately four hours after the initial alert was raised. In a statement following the incident, an Avalon Airport spokesperson emphasized that the rapid, by-the-book response to the potential threat highlighted the effectiveness of the facility’s security protocols. “This response demonstrates the vigilance of the screening and security processes, and precautionary measures were taken immediately to ensure the safety of passengers, staff and the broader community,” the spokesperson said. Many passengers caught up in the sudden lockdown shared their chaotic experiences with local media outlets. One traveler who arrived at the airport around 7 a.m. told ABC Radio Melbourne, “We arrived at the airport around 7am and they had just put up the closure. No one sort of knew what was going on. We knew something was fairly significant because there were a lot of police cars and other sort of cars going into the airport.” Manjeet Singh, who was scheduled to board a flight to Brisbane, said he was directed to wait in the airport carpark with no basic amenities provided during the lockdown. “There’s no arrangements, no bathroom, no toilet, no beverages, no nothing,” he told local newspaper The Age. As Victoria’s second busiest aviation hub, Avalon Airport is a key base for budget airline Jetstar, a Qantas subsidiary that operates both domestic and international services from the facility. By the time the airport reopened, two domestic services – one incoming flight from Sydney and one outgoing flight to Sydney – had already been cancelled, with multiple other domestic routes facing lengthy delays. No injuries or actual security threats were reported during the incident.