作者: admin

  • Manfred Goldberg: Holocaust survivor who said he was ‘heartbroken’ by Gaza dies aged 95

    Manfred Goldberg: Holocaust survivor who said he was ‘heartbroken’ by Gaza dies aged 95

    Manfred Goldberg, a distinguished Holocaust survivor and advocate for Holocaust education, has died at the age of 95. Born in Germany in 1930, Goldberg endured the horrors of Nazi concentration camps during World War II before settling in the UK in 1946. Earlier this year, he was honored with the Member of the British Empire (MBE) medal by King Charles for his lifelong dedication to educating others about the Holocaust. Goldberg began sharing his harrowing experiences publicly only in his 70s, becoming a prominent figure in the Jewish community and a frequent speaker at schools and memorial events. He also participated in innovative educational projects like Testimony 360, which uses virtual reality and AI to preserve survivors’ stories. In January 2024, Goldberg expressed his heartbreak over Israel’s war on Gaza, particularly after a British soldier fighting for Israel used a Holocaust survivor’s prayer shawl in a controversial social media post. Goldberg, who had a close friendship with fellow survivor Zigi Shipper, believed Shipper would have been equally devastated by the conflict. Dr. Agnes Kory, another Holocaust survivor, lamented Goldberg’s passing, emphasizing the growing challenge of preserving the memory of the Holocaust as survivors pass away. Goldberg’s life was marked by resilience and a commitment to peace, as he and Shipper often urged others to reject hatred. His legacy continues to inspire future generations.

  • Belgium rushes to secure drone defences after airport disruption

    Belgium rushes to secure drone defences after airport disruption

    The Belgian government has revealed to the BBC that it is urgently working to acquire advanced drone defense systems following a recent incident that forced the temporary closure of Zaventem Airport, the main airport near Brussels. The disruption occurred on Thursday night after drones were sighted near the airport and other sensitive locations, including a military base. Defense Minister Theo Francken emphasized that what was once considered a localized issue for military bases has now escalated into a significant threat to civilian infrastructure across multiple European nations. Francken confirmed that several European allies, including Germany, have offered assistance, with the German military providing anti-drone defenses. The incident impacted approximately 3,000 passengers of Brussels Airlines, leading to considerable costs from flight cancellations and diversions. Joelle Neeb of Brussels Airlines noted that while EU compensation schemes do not apply, the airline is obligated to ensure passengers reach their destinations promptly by offering refunds, alternative flights, and covering accommodation and transport expenses. Neeb described drones as a ‘new threat,’ prompting the airline to revise its contingency plans. Recent months have seen similar drone-related disruptions across Europe, including in Sweden, Norway, and Denmark. Some officials have accused Russia of engaging in ‘hybrid warfare,’ though the Kremlin denies any involvement. German Defense Minister Boris Pistorius has suggested that these incidents may be linked to EU discussions about using frozen Russian assets to support Ukraine, a controversial plan that could see Belgium legally obligated to repay Moscow post-conflict. While Belgian security services suspect Russian involvement, Francken acknowledged the lack of concrete evidence. The situation has been further complicated by recent Russian airspace incursions in Eastern Europe, involving fighter jets and larger attack drones, which are seen as attempts to test European defenses and divert attention from Ukraine.

  • Explainer: What does China’s 2035 per capita GDP goal of ‘mid-level developed country’ status mean

    Explainer: What does China’s 2035 per capita GDP goal of ‘mid-level developed country’ status mean

    As China outlines its development priorities for the next five years, a key objective has emerged: achieving a per capita GDP comparable to that of a ‘mid-level developed country’ by 2035. This target, highlighted in the Party leadership’s recommendations for the 15th Five-Year Plan (2026-30), is central to China’s broader modernization strategy. The goal also includes strengthening the economy, advancing science and technology, and enhancing national defense and global influence.

  • Tianjin’s Hangu Salt Field marks 1,100th anniversary

    Tianjin’s Hangu Salt Field marks 1,100th anniversary

    Tianjin’s Changlu Hangu Salt Field commemorated its 1,100th anniversary on Thursday, showcasing its remarkable journey from an ancient salt production site to a beacon of green and high-quality development. Established in 925, the Hangu Salt Field has long been a cornerstone of salt production along China’s Bohai coast, with an annual output of approximately one million tons. Over the centuries, the field has transitioned from traditional methods like ‘boiling seawater for salt’ to advanced, intelligent production systems that seamlessly blend industrial efficiency with cultural tourism. Yan Haibin, head of the publicity department at the Hangu Salt Field, emphasized the dual significance of the site: ‘We are not only preserving a millennium-old salt field but also safeguarding a cultural heritage that has been passed down through generations.’ The anniversary celebration highlights the field’s enduring legacy and its role as a model for sustainable development in the modern era.

  • Louvre vows to restore the imperial crown dropped by thieves during museum robbery

    Louvre vows to restore the imperial crown dropped by thieves during museum robbery

    The Louvre Museum in Paris has announced plans to restore the damaged crown of Empress Eugénie, which was recovered outside the museum following a daring robbery on October 19. The crown, adorned with over 1,300 diamonds and emeralds, was one of eight precious objects stolen from the Apollo Gallery. Thieves used disc cutters to break into display cases, making off with items including a sapphire diadem, a necklace, and a single earring linked to 19th-century Queens Marie-Amélie and Hortense. The crown was found outside the museum, likely damaged during the theft rather than when it fell to the ground. Laurence des Cars, the Louvre’s director, confirmed that most of the crown’s jewels remain intact, though a few small diamonds and one of its eight gold eagles are missing. The restoration will be funded by patrons and supervised by a scientific committee, symbolizing the museum’s ongoing ‘New Renaissance’ initiative. Des Cars, who offered to resign after the robbery, emphasized the need for modernization, citing issues such as outdated facilities, overcrowding, and inadequate security. The ‘Louvre New Renaissance’ plan, launched earlier this year, aims to address these challenges with an estimated budget of 800 million euros ($933 million) by 2031.

  • EU tightens visa restrictions on Russians over the Ukraine war and acts of sabotage

    EU tightens visa restrictions on Russians over the Ukraine war and acts of sabotage

    In a significant policy shift, the European Union (EU) has imposed stricter visa regulations for Russian citizens entering the Schengen area, citing ongoing security risks linked to Russia’s war in Ukraine, increased acts of sabotage attributed to Moscow, and concerns over visa misuse. Effective immediately, Russian nationals will no longer be eligible for multiple-entry visas, requiring them to apply for a new visa for each trip to Europe. This measure aims to enhance scrutiny of applicants and mitigate potential security threats, according to the European Commission, the EU’s executive body. Exceptions will be granted to individuals deemed trustworthy, such as dissidents, independent journalists, human rights defenders, and close family members of Russians residing in the EU or EU citizens living in Russia. EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas emphasized that travel within the EU is a privilege, not a right, amid unprecedented security challenges. The decision has drawn criticism from Russia, with Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova accusing the EU of prioritizing illegal migrants over Russian tourists. The EU had previously suspended its visa facilitation agreement with Russia following the 2022 invasion of Ukraine, leading to a sharp decline in visas issued to Russians—from over 4 million in 2019 to approximately 500,000 in 2023. While the new rules make visa applications more cumbersome, they stop short of an outright ban. Additionally, the EU has urged Serbia to cease granting citizenship to Russians, citing potential security risks for the bloc.

  • Why the Amazon rainforest is so important

    Why the Amazon rainforest is so important

    In a compelling discussion on the significance of the Amazon rainforest, Hannah Gelbart, host of *What in the World*, engages with Graihagh Jackson, presenter of *The Climate Question*, to explore the profound impact of this ecological marvel on Earth. The Amazon, often referred to as the ‘lungs of the planet,’ plays a critical role in regulating global climate patterns. Spanning over 5.5 million square kilometers across nine countries, it is the largest tropical rainforest in the world. Its dense vegetation absorbs vast amounts of carbon dioxide, acting as a natural carbon sink and mitigating the effects of climate change. Beyond its environmental contributions, the Amazon is a biodiversity hotspot, home to millions of species, many of which are yet to be discovered. Indigenous communities also rely on the forest for their livelihoods and cultural heritage. However, deforestation, driven by agriculture, logging, and mining, poses a severe threat to this ecosystem. The conversation underscores the urgent need for global cooperation to protect the Amazon, emphasizing its irreplaceable role in sustaining life on Earth.

  • Hebei emerges as global sci-tech hub during 14th Five-Year Plan period

    Hebei emerges as global sci-tech hub during 14th Five-Year Plan period

    Hebei Province has solidified its position as a global hub for scientific and technological innovation during the 14th Five-Year Plan period (2021–2025), according to senior officials. The province’s advancements have not only fueled regional development but also strengthened international cooperation. A recent press conference by the Information Office of the Hebei Provincial People’s Government revealed that Hebei’s R&D expenditure soared to 96.78 billion yuan ($13.59 billion) in 2024, ranking 13th nationally and reflecting a 52.5% increase from the 13th Five-Year Plan period (2016–2020). The value of technology contracts surged to 197.14 billion yuan, 3.53 times higher than the previous period. Hebei is now home to over 15,000 national high-tech enterprises and more than 127,000 provincial-level sci-tech SMEs, with five local firms achieving global unicorn status this year. The province’s integration with Beijing and Tianjin has deepened, with Hebei absorbing 75.53 billion yuan in technology contracts from Beijing in 2024, the highest nationwide. The Xiong’an New Area has emerged as a key innovation hub, hosting over 200 enterprises in its Zhongguancun Science Park and attracting foreign talent through streamlined services. Notable breakthroughs include the world’s first RISC-V kernel super SIM chip by Xiong’an XinSheng Technology and HBIS Group’s leading hydrogen metallurgy projects. Hebei has also expanded its international collaboration, establishing joint laboratories with Serbia and Brazil. These achievements underscore Hebei’s growing role in global sci-tech cooperation and its commitment to driving high-quality development through innovation.

  • Afghanistan and Pakistan are holding peace talks. Here’s what to know

    Afghanistan and Pakistan are holding peace talks. Here’s what to know

    In a bid to de-escalate mounting tensions, Pakistan and Afghanistan have initiated peace talks following a fragile ceasefire that came into effect after deadly cross-border clashes. The recent violence, which erupted in early October, has been the most severe in years, resulting in significant civilian and military casualties on both sides. The conflict was triggered by explosions in Kabul and Paktika on October 9, which the Taliban-led Afghan government attributed to Pakistan. While Pakistani officials neither confirmed nor denied involvement, the incident sparked a series of shelling and shooting exchanges along the border, leading to dozens of deaths and hundreds of injuries. Discrepancies in casualty figures have further complicated the situation, with both nations accusing each other of inflating numbers. Pakistan claims to have targeted militant hideouts in Afghanistan, while Kabul denies these assertions and highlights civilian casualties. Amid the hostilities, Qatar and Turkey have stepped in as mediators, facilitating negotiations in Doha and Istanbul. Despite the ceasefire holding since October 19, sporadic clashes continue, underscoring the fragility of the peace process. The border region, known as the Durand Line, remains a contentious issue, with Afghanistan refusing to recognize it as an official boundary. Both countries accuse each other of harboring militant groups, with Pakistan pointing fingers at the Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) operating from Afghan soil. The TTP, designated as a terrorist organization by the UN and the US, seeks stricter Islamic laws and reduced Pakistani military presence in border areas. The group’s alliance with the Afghan Taliban has further strained relations between the two nations. As peace talks progress, the international community remains watchful, given the region’s history of militant activity and the potential for further escalation.

  • UAE recalls Hong Thai inhaler due to microbial contamination

    UAE recalls Hong Thai inhaler due to microbial contamination

    The Emirates Drug Establishment (EDE) has announced an immediate recall of Hong Thai Herbal Inhaler (Yadom) from UAE markets due to confirmed microbial contamination in several batches. The decision follows laboratory tests that revealed contamination levels exceeding international safety standards for inhalation products. The affected batch, identified as 000332, was manufactured on December 9, 2024, and is set to expire on December 8, 2027. Approximately 200,000 units from this batch have been recalled in the UAE. The EDE has urged the public to cease using the product and safely dispose of any units they possess. Consumers experiencing symptoms such as shortness of breath, nasal irritation, or persistent dizziness after use are advised to seek medical attention. The recall is being coordinated with municipalities and regulatory authorities to ensure the product is removed from all points of sale, including online platforms. This action follows a similar recall in Thailand, where the product failed microbial contamination tests. Hong Thai, the manufacturer, has emphasized that customer safety remains their top priority.