A devastating communication error has shaken New South Wales, Australia, after 18-year-old experienced hiker Lily Hooper, who went missing while trekking in the state’s Southern Highlands, was incorrectly reported to have been found alive – a mistake that left her family briefly clinging to false hope before the tragic truth was revealed.
Hooper, an experienced outdoor explorer, was first reported missing a week prior to the error, sparking one of the state’s largest recent land search operations. Over eight consecutive days, roughly 1,000 emergency personnel, police officers, and community volunteers combed the rugged, remote bushland of Nattai National Park, located southwest of Sydney, to locate the missing teenager.
On Thursday, the incident took a chaotic turn when NSW Premier Chris Minns told a state parliamentary hearing that search crews had recovered Hooper alive, noting she had only half a bottle of water left after eight days lost in the bush. The news spread rapidly across Australian media outlets, bringing sudden, short-lived relief to Hooper’s loved ones and the community that had rallied to support the search. But within 30 minutes, Minns issued a urgent correction, confirming that what had been found was Hooper’s body, and that she had been deceased.
By Friday, officials confirmed Hooper’s remains had been airlifted out of the remote national park to allow for official processing. A police spokesperson told media that a post-mortem examination will be carried out in the coming days to formally confirm identification and establish an official cause of death.
In the wake of the painful error, both Premier Minns and NSW Police Commissioner Mal Lanyon have issued formal public apologies to the Hooper family, with Minns saying he intends to deliver a personal apology directly to the family in a private conversation.
“The government, myself – we’re profoundly sorry,” Minns said in public remarks Friday.
Lanyon acknowledged that large-scale search operations in remote, disconnected terrain create significant communication challenges, and said the misclassification of Hooper’s condition should never have happened. “Tragically, her condition was miscommunicated, and for that I apologise,” he stated. He added that NSW Police will launch a full review of existing search communication protocols to update policies and ensure such a painful mistake cannot be repeated in the future, with the goal of creating “foolproof” processes.
NSW State Emergency Services Commissioner Mike Wassing explained that search teams often use coded language over public radio communications during large operations, to protect sensitive information from being heard by family members, volunteers and other civilians participating in the search. Wassing noted that codes are sometimes linked to seemingly mundane details, such as “bottles of water,” though he stopped short of confirming the exact root cause of the error, which remains the subject of an active administrative investigation.
The miscommunication created a brief, cruel window where Hooper’s parents believed their daughter was alive, before the correction came through. The mistake has prompted widespread discussion about communication protocols during large emergency searches, and the need to balance operational security with the emotional needs of affected families.
