North Korea fires a suspected missile toward the sea, Japan says

In a provocative move that dims hopes for a rapid resumption of denuclearization diplomacy, North Korea has test-fired a suspected ballistic missile into the sea off its eastern coast, Japanese and South Korean officials confirmed Thursday. The launch comes just 24 hours after Pyongyang dismissed a U.S.-led initiative to downsize annual joint military exercises with South Korea, a step Washington framed as a goodwill gesture to restart nuclear negotiations.

Japan’s Prime Minister’s Office was the first to announce the detection of the suspected projectile, though it released no additional details on the launch’s flight trajectory or potential impact in the immediate aftermath. South Korean local media, citing anonymous sources in the South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff, later confirmed the launch of an unidentified projectile from North Korea’s east coast, matching the initial Japanese alert.

The missile test caps a tense 48 hours on the Korean Peninsula, which began after U.S. President Donald Trump ordered the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” the scale of the 11-day Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises, the annual joint military drills that have long been a point of contention for Pyongyang. Trump’s order, issued just as the exercises kicked off Monday, cited two key factors: his stated positive personal rapport with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, and South Korea’s refusal to back U.S. military operations amid rising tensions with Iran. On Wednesday, U.S. and South Korean military officials formally confirmed the scaled-back scope of the drills.

The goodwill overture from Washington was quickly rejected by Kim Yo Jong, the influential sister of Kim Jong Un and one of the North Korean government’s most high-profile decision-makers. In a statement released Wednesday, Kim Yo Jong dismissed the move as inconsequential, arguing that reducing the duration and size of the drills does nothing to alter their fundamentally “provocative, aggressive nature.” She added that if the U.S. attempts to frame the downsizing as an act of good faith, it will not receive the diplomatic response Washington is hoping for.

She also pointed to additional sources of tension between the two sides: a series of smaller U.S.-South Korean military drills held earlier in 2019, and South Korea’s ongoing push to deploy nuclear-powered submarines to its waters. Notably, Kim Yo Jong refrained from the fiery, vitriolic rhetoric that often characterizes North Korean official statements, and emphasized that the personal relationship between Kim Jong Un and Donald Trump remains “still excellent.” Analysts see this measured tone as a clear signal: Pyongyang is willing to keep diplomatic channels open, but will not return to the negotiating table until Washington makes more substantial concessions.

Kim Yo Jong also pushed back on a recent claim from Trump, who told reporters that Kim Jong Un had responded to a new outreach for dialogue. When reporters asked Trump Wednesday whether he planned to meet Kim Jong Un before the end of the year, the president confirmed he expected to hold a meeting, but declined to answer questions about ongoing private correspondence between the two leaders, simply repeating that he maintains a positive working relationship with the North Korean leader.