Tennis players ‘ignored’ in pay dispute, says Fritz

As the 2025 French Open prepares to kick off at Roland Garros this Sunday, a growing rift between elite tennis players and Grand Slam tournament organisers has erupted into open conflict, with top stars accusing governing bodies of ignoring longstanding calls for fairer revenue sharing.

World number eight Taylor Fritz, one of the most vocal leaders of the player movement, told reporters in Paris on Friday that players have maintained a measured approach to their demands but have been met with complete disregard from organisers. This dismissal has prompted a coordinated protest: the majority of the world’s top-10 ranked players will scale back their required media commitments throughout the clay-court major in a show of collective force.

At the heart of the dispute is the share of Grand Slam revenue allocated to player prize money. Currently, players receive just 15 percent of total revenue generated by the four Slams, and they are pushing to increase that allocation to 22 percent, a change they frame as a matter of basic fairness rather than excessive demand.

“It’s not about wanting more money. It’s about just wanting what’s fair,” Fritz said. “As the tournaments make more money, we obviously want to see the revenue shared back to the players reflect that. I think obviously when it’s going the opposite direction and going down, it’s disappointing to see. We have been pretty patient and mild with our requests, and I think all of us feel it’s a bit disrespectful to just be ignored when the sport is the healthiest, when there should be a very fair partnership and open dialogue between the players and the tournaments.”

The call for reform has gained widespread support across both the men’s and women’s games, with many of the sport’s biggest names backing action. Men’s world number one Jannik Sinner earlier this month urged Slam organisers to show basic respect to the athletes who draw global audiences to the tournaments. Women’s world number one Aryna Sabalenka even raised the possibility of a full boycott of all four Grand Slams to force organisers to address player demands, a comment that sent shockwaves through the tennis community.

Fritz clarified that a full-scale boycott has not been formally discussed among the player group, but he stopped short of ruling out the drastic measure if organisers continue to refuse to negotiate. “Something does have to change if we are ignored, so that’s a conversation to have, I think,” the American star said. “Right now I’m not ready to start tossing that around, because I want to really mean it if I’m going to say it.”

Russian 10-time Grand Slam quarter-finalist Andrey Rublev echoed Fritz’s frustration, calling out organisers for their complete lack of response to official player inquiries. “They don’t hear you. They don’t answer,” Rublev said. “When you send the mail in, no one responds to official mail for months. Come on, guys. We are together, or you completely don’t care that much that you cannot even communicate.”

So far, organisers have shown no willingness to compromise. French Open tournament director Amelie Mauresmo stated Thursday that Roland Garros officials would not budge on their current prize money structure, rejecting calls for an immediate increase.

Despite the hardline stance from organisers, young women’s star Mirra Andreeva, ranked eighth in the world, emphasized that players remain fully united in their push for reform. The 19-year-old noted that the collective stand has reinforced solidarity across the tour, saying: “I do think that we have a reason behind it, and I do think that all of us are united. It’s also nice that players are all together and they have the same opinion about that.”

This year’s French Open singles champion will take home 2.8 million euros ($3.3 million), up from 2.55 million euros in 2024. While the champion’s purse is higher than that of the Australian Open, it remains lower than the top prize at both Wimbledon and the US Open, highlighting the disparities that have fuelled player discontent across the tour.