A 24-year-old Vietnamese-American woman who was raised in the United States has helped secure formal rape charges against a 23-year-old Vietnamese man following a sexual assault that occurred during a group resort trip in northern Vietnam, a case that has thrown a rare public spotlight on the stigma and barriers facing survivors of sexual violence in the country.
Nguyen Thi Quynh Tam, a Houston native who moved back to Vietnam in May to complete a banking internship and reconnect with her cultural heritage, joined a group of acquaintances for an Independence Day weekend trip to a resort in Phu Tho province, located roughly 80 kilometers northwest of Hanoi. When Tam was locked out of the room she had planned to stay in after the group’s late-night gathering, she found an empty bedroom to rest in and fell asleep with the door unlocked. In the early hours of July 5, she woke to find the 23-year-old man assaulting her, she told the Associated Press in a series of on-the-record interviews.
Despite Tam repeatedly pushing him away, shouting verbal refusals, and fighting back, the man pinned her arms above her head and completed the assault, according to her formal police complaint, documented text messages shared with AP, and recorded communications. Hours after the attack, Tam messaged her boyfriend, who was based in the United States, to confirm she had been raped; AP has verified the content of those messages.
In the days following the assault, Tam faced mounting pressure to abandon any formal legal action. Members of the travel group told her the accused man came from a wealthy, politically well-connected family, leaving her uncertain how to proceed. On July 9, the suspect apologized twice: once in a written note and once in a phone call, a recording of which AP has reviewed. Six days later, at a meeting arranged by mutual acquaintances, the suspect’s father directly asked Tam what sum of money she would accept to avoid involving law enforcement, she said. He followed up with another offer of financial compensation five days later.
When contacted by AP via email, the suspect’s father acknowledged the pair had been “intimate” but declined to provide further comment, denying that his family ever pressured Tam to drop the case. The suspect himself has not responded to multiple requests for comment from AP sent via social media platforms.
When Tam ultimately filed an official complaint with local police on July 21, she faced additional pressure to resolve the case privately, she alleges. During the initial investigation, officers forced her to reenact the assault on the exact site where it occurred, a process that left her severely emotionally distraught. “A part of me is gone. And it’s in that room,” Tam told AP. The following day, police pressured her to meet with the suspect and sign a document stating she had voluntarily declined both a forensic rape kit and legal representation, a request she refused. Even while Tam was receiving inpatient mental health care at a Hanoi hospital, law enforcement continued to push her to settle the case out of court, she said.
Tam also reported receiving limited initial support from the U.S. Embassy in Hanoi. She said officials only advised her to either file a report with Vietnamese authorities or return to the United States, and discouraged her by referencing a previous sexual assault case that took more than a year to resolve before ultimately being dismissed. After Tam’s father reached out to their home senator, Texas Republican Ted Cruz, embassy officials called Tam to apologize. In an official statement to Cruz’s office, the embassy claimed it had already supported Tam and facilitated her contact with Vietnamese authorities, but Tam’s father called that claim “inaccurate” in a July 29 email exchange reviewed by AP.
The U.S. State Department has confirmed it is aware of Tam’s case, but declined to comment further, citing privacy constraints and ongoing domestic legal proceedings. The department added that the safety and security of American citizens overseas remains its top priority.
It is extremely rare for survivors of sexual violence to speak publicly about their experiences in Vietnam, where cultural stigma around sexual assault keeps most cases out of public discourse and often unreported to police. The Associated Press follows a standard policy of not publicly identifying survivors of sexual assault, but Tam made the intentional decision to share her full name and story openly, in the hopes of protecting other women from similar harm. “I’m doing this not just for me. But for everybody else that has been harmed,” she said.
Following weeks of advocacy and external pressure, Vietnamese authorities confirmed Thursday that they had formally filed rape charges against the 23-year-old suspect. Vietnamese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Pham Thu Hang confirmed that legal proceedings have been launched “in accordance with Vietnamese law,” but declined to answer questions about the alleged pressure from police to settle the case privately.
