In the aftermath of the devastating December 14 mass shooting at Bondi Beach that left 15 people dead, two shocking new criminal cases have unfolded in Australia, drawing widespread public attention. The first case centers on a 35-year-old working photographer who was present at the fatal Hanukkah event targeted by two gunmen. New South Wales Police allege that the man stole professional camera equipment belonging to Peter Meagher, one of the attack’s victims who was a retired police officer and working photojournalist at the time of the shooting. Meagher was killed in the gunfire, and the accused is said to have pawned the stolen gear just days after the attack. Authorities carried out a raid on the suspect’s western Sydney home on Wednesday, where they recovered the stolen camera along with additional items including handcuffs and multiple personal electronic devices. The 35-year-old was taken into custody and formally charged, before being granted strict conditional bail. He is scheduled to make his next court appearance next month. The case is a disturbing development in the wake of the tragedy, which has already shaken Australian communities. In a separate, equally startling case connected to the Bondi Beach attack, two brothers of Ahmed Al Ahmed — the Syrian-Australian shop owner widely hailed as a hero for his actions during the shooting — have been hit with criminal charges over alleged threats and extortion. During the attack, Ahmed rushed to stop one of the gunmen, identified as Sajid Akram, tackling him to the ground and successfully wresting a firearm away from the attacker. For his brave actions, Ahmed was shot multiple times, and he has since undergone multiple reconstructive surgeries on his wounded arm. His courageous intervention earned national acclaim, and a public fundraiser was launched to support his recovery that ultimately raised more than AU$2.5 million, equal to roughly $1.8 million USD or £1.2 million GBP. Following the attack, Ahmed’s two brothers, Hozifa al Ahmed and Sameh al Ahmed, relocated to Australia from overseas and moved into his home, according to court documents filed by prosecutors. Tensions between the siblings eventually deteriorated, prompting Ahmed to move out and relocate to a separate property. Earlier this month, Ahmed lodged an official police report, claiming his brothers had threatened him to force him to hand over a share of the public donation funds. Court documents outline detailed threatening phone calls the brothers are alleged to have made on May 7. During his call, Hozifa reportedly told Ahmed: “I will put your head under my boot, break your other arm, and smash your face. We will only leave if you give us $100,000 each.” Shortly after the first call, Sameh contacted Ahmed with an identical demand, stating: “If you want peace of mind and to be safe, you will give us $100,000 each.” The two brothers appeared in court this Wednesday to face charges of using a carriage service to harass and offend. Both have entered not guilty pleas, and their next court date is scheduled for July. Interim apprehended domestic violence orders have been issued against the pair, requiring them to stay away from Ahmed at all times. In the days after the attack, Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese personally visited Ahmed in hospital to recognize his bravery and offer the government’s support. Both cases are now working their way through the New South Wales court system, as the community continues to grapple with the aftermath of the deadliest mass shooting in Australia in recent years.
