博客

  • Bangladesh to hold referendum on reform charter proposals, Yunus says

    Bangladesh to hold referendum on reform charter proposals, Yunus says

    Bangladesh is set to hold a national referendum on the implementation of the ‘July Charter,’ a comprehensive reform proposal aimed at reshaping the country’s political and institutional landscape. Muhammad Yunus, the head of the interim government, made the announcement on Thursday, emphasizing that the referendum will address the charter’s proposals, which include constitutional recognition of the 2024 student-led uprising that forced former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina to flee to India. Yunus also confirmed that parliamentary elections will proceed in February, promising they will be conducted freely and fairly. The July Charter, drafted in response to last year’s uprising, has garnered support from a majority of political parties, though the National Citizens Party (NCP) and four left-leaning parties boycotted the agreement, citing the absence of a legal framework or binding guarantees for its implementation. While proponents view the charter as a cornerstone for institutional reform, skeptics argue its impact may remain largely symbolic without broader parliamentary consensus or enforceable mechanisms.

  • Chinese scientists weave tiny polymer capable of towing car

    Chinese scientists weave tiny polymer capable of towing car

    A groundbreaking development in material science has emerged from China, where researchers at Zhejiang University have created a polymer so powerful that a minuscule amount can tow a car. Inspired by traditional weaving methods, the team engineered a material by intertwining flexible and rigid polymer chains at the molecular level. Their findings, published in the journal Nature Materials, reveal a material with unparalleled strength and durability. The scientists used flexible polyurethane chains as the ‘warp’ and rigid epoxy resin chains as the ‘weft,’ mimicking the structure of textiles. This innovative approach resulted in a material with a lap shear strength more than double that of conventional adhesives. In a striking demonstration, a small adhesive patch measuring just 2.5 by 1.3 centimeters successfully towed a 2.1-tonne vehicle. This breakthrough opens new possibilities for designing advanced materials tailored for industrial applications, potentially revolutionizing fields such as construction, automotive, and aerospace.

  • Hebei to expand transportation projects during 15th Five-Year Plan period (2026-30)

    Hebei to expand transportation projects during 15th Five-Year Plan period (2026-30)

    Hebei province has announced a comprehensive plan to enhance its transportation infrastructure during the 15th Five-Year Plan period (2026-30), aiming to bolster connectivity within the Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei region. Key projects include the construction of the Tanglang (Tangshan-Langfang) Expressway, set to begin in 2026, which will divert traffic from Beijing’s ring expressways, thereby reducing congestion in the capital. Additionally, the Langzhuo (Langfang-Zhuozhou) Expressway is being expanded from four to eight lanes, with completion expected by 2027, which will significantly improve the capacity and efficiency of the region’s transportation network. Another major initiative is the Jingwu (Beijing-Wuhan) Expressway, which will create a 314-kilometer high-speed corridor through Hebei, with construction slated to start in 2027. The G335 highway upgrade, currently underway, will enhance links between Zhangjiakou and Beijing upon its completion in 2027. These projects build on the progress made during the 14th Five-Year Plan period (2021-25), which saw the addition of 18 expressway segments connecting Hebei with Beijing and Tianjin, bringing the total number of inter-provincial or city trunk roads to 54 segments with 80 interfaces. These developments are expected to further regional coordination and provide more efficient travel options for residents across the Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei region.

  • ‘Thought it was a prank’: Indian expat wins $1 million at Dubai Duty Free after 10 years

    ‘Thought it was a prank’: Indian expat wins $1 million at Dubai Duty Free after 10 years

    An Indian expatriate based in Dubai has struck gold by winning $1 million in the Dubai Duty Free Millennium Millionaire draw, a life-changing moment that came after a decade of unwavering participation. Atul Rao, a banker originally from Mumbai, purchased his winning ticket—number 2242 in Series 522—on his birthday while transiting through Dubai International Airport. The draw took place approximately two and a half weeks later, turning Rao’s life upside down in the best possible way. Rao, who has been shuttling between the UAE and Oman since 1998, initially dismissed the news as a prank. ‘With so many spam calls and messages these days, it was hard to believe,’ he admitted. It wasn’t until he verified the win on the Dubai Duty Free website that the reality sank in. Rao’s journey to this moment began in 2012 when he first started purchasing tickets during his travels. ‘Every time I travel, I buy at least three tickets—one each for the bike, car, and millionaire draws,’ he shared. Over the years, he estimates spending nearly Dh50,000 on tickets, always holding onto hope. Rao’s persistence finally paid off, and he plans to use his winnings wisely. Part of the money will go toward charity and investments, and he is considering reinvesting in Dubai’s property market, having previously owned and sold a property in the city. His family, including his wife, a special educator, and his daughter, who works in Dubai, are overjoyed. His son, studying in Canada, is also part of the celebrations, with the family planning a holiday soon. Despite his newfound wealth, Rao has no plans to stop participating in the draws. ‘I’ll definitely keep buying tickets,’ he said, adding with a laugh, ‘Who knows, maybe I’ll win the bike draw next.’ Rao’s story is a testament to the power of patience and perseverance, proving that dreams can come true when you least expect them.

  • Nankai University scholar publishes long-lost Latin translation of Tao Te Ching

    Nankai University scholar publishes long-lost Latin translation of Tao Te Ching

    A long-lost Latin translation of the Tao Te Ching, hidden in the British Library for over three centuries, has been brought to light by Misha Tadd, a scholar at Nankai University in Tianjin. This remarkable discovery offers a unique glimpse into the early dissemination of Chinese philosophy in the West and the cross-cultural interpretations of Laozi’s teachings. The manuscript, translated by missionaries in the early 18th century, was recently published, marking a significant milestone in the study of East-West intellectual exchange. Tadd’s efforts have not only resurrected a forgotten piece of history but also provided scholars with valuable insights into how ancient Chinese wisdom was perceived and adapted in Europe during a pivotal period of cultural interaction. The publication of this rare manuscript underscores the enduring relevance of the Tao Te Ching and its profound impact on global philosophical thought.

  • Aurora seen in Heilongjiang, NE China

    Aurora seen in Heilongjiang, NE China

    China Daily Information Co (CDIC) has established stringent copyright policies to protect its published content, which includes text, photos, and multimedia materials. All materials featured on the China Daily website are the intellectual property of CDIC and are safeguarded under copyright law. Unauthorized reproduction, republishing, or any form of usage without explicit written consent from CDIC is strictly prohibited. The site recommends using browsers with a resolution of 1024*768 or higher for optimal viewing. Additionally, China Daily holds a valid online multimedia publishing license (License Number: 0108263) and is officially registered (Registration Number: 130349). The website also provides various services and resources, including advertising opportunities, contact information, job offers, and employment options for expatriates. Users are encouraged to follow China Daily on its social media platforms for updates and news.

  • ‘Another major win any time’: UAE Lottery says every ticket has a shot after Dh100-million win

    ‘Another major win any time’: UAE Lottery says every ticket has a shot after Dh100-million win

    The UAE Lottery has marked a historic milestone with its largest-ever payout of Dh100 million, awarded to a 29-year-old Abu Dhabi resident, Anilkumar Bolla. The IT professional defied odds of 1 in 8.8 million to match all seven numbers in the exact winning combination. This monumental win has not only transformed Bolla’s life but also reignited public interest in the lottery, with participation surging across the country. Scott Burton, UAE Lottery’s Commercial Gaming Director, emphasized that every draw is independent, and the odds remain unchanged regardless of previous wins. ‘We could see another major win at any time,’ he stated, highlighting the lottery’s commitment to fairness and excitement. The Dh100 million prize is a testament to the lottery’s rapid growth since its launch less than a year ago. Bolla, who plans to continue working and invest wisely, dreams of bringing his family to the UAE to share in his newfound fortune. The win has also spurred a wave of new registrations and reengaged former players, further solidifying the lottery’s popularity. With another Dh1 million winner announced in the latest draw, the UAE Lottery continues to captivate the nation with its promise of life-changing rewards.

  • Juan Ponce Enrile, architect of Philippine martial law era who helped oust Marcos, dies at 101

    Juan Ponce Enrile, architect of Philippine martial law era who helped oust Marcos, dies at 101

    Juan Ponce Enrile, a pivotal yet controversial figure in Philippine history, passed away on Thursday at the age of 101. His daughter, Katrina Ponce Enrile, confirmed his death at home, surrounded by family, as he had wished. Enrile had recently been treated for pneumonia in a medical intensive care unit. President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., whose father Enrile helped overthrow during the 1986 ‘people power’ uprising, paid tribute to him, stating that his death ‘marks the close of a chapter in our nation’s history.’ Enrile’s career spanned over five decades, during which he held numerous high-profile positions, including Defense Secretary, Senate President, and Chief Presidential Legal Counsel. Born on February 14, 1924, in Cagayan, Enrile was one of the longest-serving officials in Philippine history. His tenure as Defense Secretary during the martial law era under Ferdinand Marcos Sr. was marked by allegations of human rights abuses and authoritarian rule. However, Enrile later broke away from Marcos, playing a crucial role in the 1986 uprising that ousted the dictator. Despite his contributions, Enrile’s legacy remains complex. In 2014, he was indicted for allegedly receiving kickbacks from a scam involving anti-poverty funds, though he was eventually acquitted due to insufficient evidence. His life was a tapestry of triumphs and controversies, reflecting the tumultuous political landscape of the Philippines. The Department of National Defense, where he served the longest, honored him by flying the Philippine flag at half-staff, acknowledging his profound impact on the nation’s history.

  • Sheikh Hasina: The pro-democracy icon who became an autocrat

    Sheikh Hasina: The pro-democracy icon who became an autocrat

    Sheikh Hasina Wazed, Bangladesh’s longest-serving prime minister, once symbolized the nation’s democratic aspirations but now faces grave accusations of authoritarianism and human rights violations. Currently in exile in India, Hasina fled Bangladesh in August 2024 following a student-led uprising that escalated into nationwide unrest. A tribunal in Bangladesh is set to deliver a verdict on whether she ordered a deadly crackdown on protesters, a charge she vehemently denies. Prosecutors have demanded the death penalty if she is found guilty. The protests, which led to her ousting, claimed up to 1,400 lives, according to UN investigators. Hasina’s political career began as a pro-democracy leader, but her rule has been marred by allegations of autocratic behavior, politically motivated arrests, and extra-judicial killings. In January 2024, she secured an unprecedented fourth term in an election widely criticized as fraudulent. The subsequent protests, initially focused on civil service quotas, evolved into a broader anti-government movement. Hasina’s government responded with violent crackdowns, including a leaked audio clip suggesting she ordered the use of lethal force against protesters. On August 5, 2024, one of the bloodiest days in Bangladesh’s history, police killed at least 52 people as crowds stormed her residence. Hasina, tried in absentia, has dismissed the tribunal as a ‘kangaroo court’ orchestrated by her political opponents. She also faces separate charges of crimes against humanity and corruption. Born into a political dynasty, Hasina’s father, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, was Bangladesh’s founding leader. After surviving a military coup that killed most of her family, Hasina returned from exile in 1981 to lead the Awami League. Her tenure saw significant economic growth, with Bangladesh’s per capita income tripling and millions lifted out of poverty. However, her government has been accused of repressive measures, including enforced disappearances and media suppression. The US sanctioned Bangladesh’s Rapid Action Battalion in 2021 for human rights abuses. As Bangladesh grapples with economic challenges, Hasina’s legacy remains deeply contested, with her supporters praising her economic achievements and critics condemning her authoritarian tendencies.

  • UAE warns against zero-day attacks: Hackers can get info without user knowledge

    UAE warns against zero-day attacks: Hackers can get info without user knowledge

    The UAE Cybersecurity Council has issued a stark warning to residents about the rising threat of zero-day attacks, emphasizing the need for heightened vigilance in protecting personal data. These attacks exploit undisclosed security vulnerabilities, allowing hackers to infiltrate devices without the user’s knowledge. Alarmingly, the Council highlighted that even a single WhatsApp call could serve as a gateway for cybercriminals to access sensitive information, including photos and messages. This revelation underscores the sophistication of modern cyber threats and the urgency for individuals to adopt robust security measures. To combat these risks, the Council has recommended several protective steps: regularly updating WhatsApp, avoiding suspicious links, enabling two-step verification, and using trusted security apps. Additionally, silencing unknown callers and relying solely on official sources for information can further mitigate risks. The warning follows a recent call by UAE officials at Gitex Global 2025 for residents to take greater responsibility for their online safety. Lt. Colonel Dr. Hamad Khalifa Alnuaimi, Head of Telecommunications at Abu Dhabi Police, stressed that everyone must play an active role in safeguarding themselves against cybercrime. As cyber threats evolve, the UAE continues to lead in raising awareness and promoting proactive cybersecurity practices.