In a sharp escalation of diplomatic tensions between Turkey and Israel, Turkish Justice Minister Akin Gurlek announced Friday that Ankara has formally asked Interpol to issue international Red Notices for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and a second Israeli official, Afek Moskovitch, on charges of genocide and multiple other crimes against humanity. The legal action stems from Israel’s 2026 intercept of the Global Sumud Flotilla, a civilian vessel carrying humanitarian aid to Gaza that was raided by Israeli forces in international waters earlier this year.
Gurlek confirmed in an official statement posted to the social media platform X that the request follows arrest warrants issued by Turkish courts on July 14, 2026. “Pursuant to the arrest warrants issued on 14 July 2026 for Benjamin Netanyahu and Afek Moskovitch on charges of genocide, our Ministry of Justice requested that the Ministry of Interior seek Interpol Red Notices for their international apprehension. The relevant documents have also been forwarded to our Ministry of Foreign Affairs,” Gurlek said.
The two Israeli figures face a broad array of charges in addition to genocide, including crimes against humanity, aggravated unlawful detention, intentional bodily harm, torture and cruel treatment, property destruction, aggravated robbery, and hijacking of civilian transport. All charges are directly linked to the Israeli military operation against unarmed civilian activists delivering humanitarian aid to Gaza in international waters, and the subsequent detention of those activists, Gurlek added.
The Turkish government’s legal move comes just days after a major escalation in regional hostilities: Israeli warplanes carried out strikes earlier this week on the Abu al-Duhur military airbase in northern Syria, a facility located roughly 70 kilometers from the Turkish border. The airstrike was followed by a thinly veiled public threat from Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz directed at Turkish leadership on Thursday.
In a social media statement, Katz claimed that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan “is dragging Turkey into dangerous adventures in Syria.” He added that Israel would not permit any actor to threaten its national security, and urged Erdogan to rein in what Katz called anti-Israel rhetoric rather than “attempting to test Israel’s resolve to defend itself.”
Israel justified the airstrike with unsubstantiated claims that Syria was on the brink of violating a long-standing security status quo by allowing Turkish military personnel to deploy at the Abu al-Duhur base. Both Turkish and Syrian officials have categorically rejected these allegations. Turkey’s defense ministry emphasized that there had been no Turkish military presence at the facility either before or during Israel’s “unacceptable” attack, and called for an immediate end to such reckless Israeli actions.
Syrian officials told Middle East Eye that only a Turkish civilian technical team was present at the base to conduct repairs on the runway and air traffic control tower, with no military personnel deployed to the site. The Turkish presidency issued a statement Wednesday arguing that the Israeli airstrike was motivated by domestic political considerations, noting that the attack was timed ahead of Israel’s general election scheduled for October, and served Netanyahu’s personal re-election campaign.
Netanyahu pushed back against these claims Wednesday, confirming that Israel had pre-warned Syria against allowing any Turkish presence at the base. “Our message was very clear: Don’t. I guess they didn’t quite understand the message,” he said. Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani rejected Israel’s justification entirely, stating that the bombing had no legitimate legal or strategic basis.
In the wake of the Tuesday airstrikes, the United States has moved to de-escalate tensions between the three regional actors. Tom Barrack, the U.S. special presidential envoy for Syria and Iraq, told Reuters that Washington is currently working to establish a formal deconfliction mechanism that will prevent unintended clashes between Israeli, Turkish, and Syrian forces operating in northern Syria.









