作者: admin

  • American rock climber Alex Honnold climbs Taipei 101 skyscraper without ropes

    American rock climber Alex Honnold climbs Taipei 101 skyscraper without ropes

    In a breathtaking display of human endurance and skill, renowned American rock climber Alex Honnold successfully scaled Taipei 101, one of the world’s tallest skyscrapers, without ropes or protective equipment on Sunday. The daring ascent of the 508-meter (1,667-foot) tower captivated spectators and raised questions about the ethics of broadcasting high-risk athletic endeavors.

    Honnold, celebrated for his unprecedented free solo climb of Yosemite’s El Capitan, commenced his vertical journey using the building’s horizontal metal beams as handholds. Clad in a distinctive red short-sleeve shirt, the climber periodically paused during his ascent to acknowledge the cheering crowd below, creating dramatic moments during the live broadcast on Netflix, which employed a 10-second delay for safety considerations.

    The architectural complexity of Taipei 101 presented unique challenges, particularly the middle section comprising 64 floors known as ‘bamboo boxes’—the building’s signature feature. This segment required navigating eight distinct phases, each featuring eight floors of steep, overhanging climbing followed by balcony areas where Honnold took strategic rests.

    While French climber Alain Robert previously ascended the building during its 2004 inauguration using safety equipment, Honnold’s achievement marks the first completely unprotected climb of the Taipei landmark. The event, originally scheduled for Saturday, was postponed due to adverse weather conditions, adding another layer of anticipation to the already dramatic feat.

  • Next generation may not need driver’s licence, says Uber President

    Next generation may not need driver’s licence, says Uber President

    In a groundbreaking interview with CNN, Uber President and Chief Operating Officer Andrew Macdonald projected a future where driver’s licenses may become unnecessary for younger generations as autonomous vehicles revolutionize personal transportation. Macdonald observed that contemporary 16-year-olds demonstrate significantly diminished interest in obtaining driving credentials, reflecting a broader societal shift away from traditional car ownership paradigms.

    Macdonald articulated a vision for a ‘hybrid mobility network’ where self-driving vehicles operate alongside human drivers and delivery personnel. This transportation ecosystem, he emphasized, will particularly transform Western markets within the next five years, where elevated labor costs will accelerate the economic viability of autonomous solutions.

    The Uber executive identified a persistent decade-long trend showing declining percentages of teenagers pursuing driver’s licenses at the traditional age of 16. This behavioral shift represents what Macdonald characterizes as a ‘multi-decade transition’ fundamentally reshaping humanity’s relationship with personal transportation.

    ‘Future mobility will predominantly feature autonomous vehicles rather than single-passenger cars as we currently conceptualize transportation,’ Macdonald stated during the CNN dialogue with host Fareed Zakaria. This transformation signals not merely technological advancement but a profound cultural reimagining of mobility, ownership, and personal freedom.

    The executive’s comments arrive amid accelerating investments in autonomous vehicle technology across the transportation industry, suggesting that the next generation might experience mobility as an on-demand service rather than individually owned property.

  • US to gain sovereignty over Greenland areas where American bases are located: Trump

    US to gain sovereignty over Greenland areas where American bases are located: Trump

    In a groundbreaking development reported by the New York Post on Saturday, President Donald Trump revealed that the United States will establish sovereignty over specific territories in Greenland where American military installations are currently situated. This announcement represents a significant shift in Arctic geopolitical dynamics and follows Trump’s persistent interest in acquiring the strategically vital island.

    The President’s statements clarify that this sovereignty arrangement specifically applies to zones containing U.S. military facilities, rather than encompassing the entire Danish autonomous territory. This distinction emerges after previous suggestions of potential acquisition through purchase, which Denmark consistently rejected despite the nations’ allied relationship.

    Notably, during mid-week discussions, President Trump explicitly dismissed the possibility of military intervention as a method to secure control over Greenland. Instead, he emphasized having negotiated access guarantees through NATO channels, suggesting a diplomatic approach to securing American interests in the resource-rich Arctic region.

    The development signals a recalibration of U.S. strategic positioning in the increasingly contested Arctic, where melting ice has opened new shipping routes and access to untapped natural resources. This sovereignty arrangement would mark the most significant territorial adjustment in the region in decades, with implications for international law, Arctic governance, and NATO alliance dynamics.

  • Ros Atkins on… How popular is President Trump?

    Ros Atkins on… How popular is President Trump?

    BBC Analysis Editor Ros Atkins has launched a comprehensive examination of former President Donald Trump’s current standing with the American public during what has been an exceptionally eventful period in early 2026. The analysis comes as the nation navigates a series of consequential developments both domestically and internationally that have shaped the political landscape.

    The assessment delves beyond superficial polling numbers to explore the nuanced dimensions of Trump’s popularity, measuring public sentiment through multiple indicators including approval ratings, voter enthusiasm, and demographic breakdowns. The investigation considers how recent policy decisions, international engagements, and domestic controversies have collectively influenced perceptions of the former president’s leadership.

    Atkins’ methodology incorporates comparative historical data, placing current approval metrics within the context of previous administrations at similar junctures. The analysis further examines regional variations in support, highlighting the evolving political allegiances across different states and constituencies. Special attention is given to how independent voters and moderate Republicans view Trump’s handling of the pressing issues that have dominated the national conversation throughout this period.

    The timing of this deep dive proves particularly significant as the political ramifications of these approval ratings could influence upcoming electoral strategies and policy directions. The comprehensive assessment provides stakeholders across the political spectrum with critical insights into the American electorate’s current disposition toward one of the nation’s most polarizing political figures.

  • Reed pulls four shots ahead with McIlroy 11 adrift at Dubai Desert Classic

    Reed pulls four shots ahead with McIlroy 11 adrift at Dubai Desert Classic

    Patrick Reed seized commanding control of the Dubai Desert Classic on Saturday, firing a five-under-par 67 to establish a formidable four-shot advantage heading into the tournament’s final round. The American veteran’s stellar performance at the Emirates Golf Club’s Majlis course propelled him to a 14-under total, distancing himself from the chasing pack.

    Spanish rising star David Puig emerged as Reed’s closest challenger, carding an impressive 66 to reach 10-under par. The 24-year-old sensation, who claimed victory at last December’s Australian PGA Championship, demonstrated his growing prowess with seven birdies against a single bogey.

    Norway’s Viktor Hovland, the 2022 tournament champion, ignited his title hopes with the day’s lowest round—a spectacular 65 that featured seven birdies without dropping a shot. His remarkable surge positioned him just five strokes behind the leader, setting the stage for a compelling final-round showdown.

    Meanwhile, world number two Rory McIlroy’s title defense effectively ended with a disappointing 71 that left him languishing at three-under overall. The four-time Dubai champion managed only two birdies against one bogey, finding himself tied for 27th position and facing an insurmountable 11-shot deficit.

    Reed’s round showcased both resilience and technical mastery. After an uncharacteristic bogey on the opening hole, the 35-year-old found his rhythm with a crucial drive on the eighth hole that sparked his charge. Though he narrowly missed birdie opportunities on the 15th through 17th holes, his overall performance demonstrated the composure of a seasoned champion.

    Defending champion Tyrrell Hatton’s hopes evaporated with a disappointing 76 that dropped him into a tie for 42nd place, while Reed positioned himself to claim his first full-field title in the $9 million event—adding another chapter to his three-win DP World Tour legacy.

  • Man shot dead by federal agents in US Minneapolis: media

    Man shot dead by federal agents in US Minneapolis: media

    A fatal shooting incident involving federal immigration agents resulted in one death in Minneapolis, Minnesota, on Saturday morning, January 24, 2026, according to local law enforcement authorities.

    The confrontation occurred during an ongoing federal immigration enforcement operation in Minnesota’s largest metropolitan area. Witness accounts indicate the unidentified male victim sustained multiple gunshot wounds to the chest during the encounter with federal agents. Emergency medical services transported the critically injured man to a nearby hospital where he was subsequently pronounced dead.

    Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara confirmed the fatality to the Minnesota Star Tribune, marking another violent episode in the city’s recent history of law enforcement interactions. The scene following the shooting reportedly descended into chaos as federal agents deployed crowd-control measures including tear gas and non-lethal projectiles to disperse agitated bystanders and protesters.

    The incident has sparked immediate concerns regarding the escalation of federal immigration operations in urban communities and the use of lethal force during enforcement actions. Local community leaders have called for transparency and a thorough investigation into the circumstances surrounding the shooting.

    This event represents the latest in a series of tense encounters between federal authorities and residents during immigration operations across various American cities, raising questions about enforcement protocols and community safety measures.

  • Israeli strike kills teenage cousins gathering firewood in northern Gaza

    Israeli strike kills teenage cousins gathering firewood in northern Gaza

    In a tragic incident underscoring the ongoing humanitarian emergency in Gaza, two Palestinian adolescents lost their lives on Saturday during an Israeli drone strike in the northern region. The victims, identified as 13-year-old Salman al-Zawarah and his 15-year-old cousin Mohammed al-Zawarah, were reportedly gathering essential firewood in the Beit Lahia project area adjacent to Kamal Adwan Hospital when the attack occurred.

    This lethal strike represents the latest breach of the ceasefire agreement established between Israel and Hamas in October 2025. According to Gaza medical authorities, the casualties bring the number of Palestinians killed since the truce began to 483, with injuries surpassing 1,300 individuals.

    The tragedy compounds an already dire situation where environmental and infrastructural collapse has created additional health hazards. Just days prior to this incident, two infants succumbed to extreme cold and dehydration resulting from exposure to sewage-contaminated environments. The Palestinian Health Ministry reports at least ten child fatalities from hypothermia since winter began.

    The humanitarian catastrophe continues to intensify despite international agreements. United Nations assessments indicate approximately one million Gazans urgently require emergency shelter assistance. Following nearly two years of sustained bombardment, Israeli military operations have damaged or destroyed approximately 90% of Gaza’s infrastructure, displacing most residents into inadequate temporary shelters with insufficient heating capabilities.

    The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) maintains that ‘the humanitarian situation and crisis in Gaza is far from being over,’ noting that Israeli attacks have resulted in 216 Palestinian fatalities—including 46 children and 28 women—in areas distant from established conflict zones, frequently affecting IDP shelters and residential buildings.

  • UAE Lottery: 3 players take home Dh100,000 each in latest draw

    UAE Lottery: 3 players take home Dh100,000 each in latest draw

    In the latest weekly Lucky Day draw conducted under the UAE Lottery’s newly reformed structure, three fortunate participants each secured substantial prizes of Dh100,000. The drawing, which now occurs every Saturday following a significant system overhaul announced during the lottery’s first anniversary celebrations, continues its pattern of creating multiple high-value winners.

    The winning identification numbers for this week’s Lucky Chance segment—AS1781137, DU9745571, and BN3833225—have transformed the financial circumstances of their respective holders. Since the implementation of the revised weekly format, this popular lottery mechanism has already generated over 200 Lucky Chance winners across the Emirates.

    The redesigned lottery framework features an impressive multi-tier prize structure, including an extraordinary Dh30 million grand prize, a substantial Dh5 million secondary prize, and the weekly Dh100,000 Lucky Chance awards that continue to distribute significant wealth to participants. The winning numbers for this particular draw were confirmed as 12, 25, 31, 22, 11, and 14, with the Lucky Month number standing at 3.

    This regular Saturday event has become an anticipated weekly occurrence for UAE residents, offering life-changing financial opportunities through its structured prize distribution system. The lottery’s administrative team has successfully maintained the initiative’s momentum while ensuring transparent and verifiable drawing procedures that uphold the organization’s credibility and public trust.

  • ‘Not deterred’: Anthony Albanese defiant after alleged far-right kidnap threat

    ‘Not deterred’: Anthony Albanese defiant after alleged far-right kidnap threat

    Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has adopted a resolute stance following disclosures that far-right extremists with neo-Nazi affiliations allegedly plotted to kidnap him. The reported threats emerged from an online Discord chatroom operated by radical activists, where discussions allegedly included a $10,000 offer to rent a vehicle for the abduction operation. These developments occurred shortly after the Bondi Beach terror attack, though investigators have not connected the plot to that incident.

    Addressing the security concerns, Prime Minister Albanese confirmed that threat levels against him have substantially increased, particularly following events of December 14. Despite these security challenges, the Prime Minister emphasized his unwavering commitment to public engagements and direct interaction with Australian citizens. ‘My primary focus remains ensuring the safety of all Australians, not myself,’ Albanese stated during an ABC interview. ‘I maintain full confidence in the Australian Federal Police and security authorities to perform their duties effectively.’

    The security climate has intensified significantly in recent months, with at least five individuals facing charges for allegedly threatening both Prime Minister Albanese and New South Wales Premier Chris Minns. These cases include a Sydney man accused of making threatening communications to the Prime Minister’s office and a 19-year-old from Western Australia allegedly sending social media messages containing death threats.

    This escalation coincides with increased visibility of neo-Nazi organizations across Australia. The recently dissolved Nationalist Socialist Network (NSN) has drawn particular attention from security agencies, with ASIO Director-General Mark Burgess and Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke repeatedly highlighting concerns about the group’s extremist rhetoric. The group announced its disbandment following new anti-hate legislation passed by federal parliament in response to the Bondi attack.

    The threat environment has extended beyond the Prime Minister, with NSW Opposition Leader Kellie Sloane reporting similar security concerns after criticizing neo-Nazi demonstrations outside state parliament. In a separate development, neo-Nazi figure Joel Davis was denied bail this month for allegedly inciting violence against independent Wentworth MP Allegra Spender through Telegram communications.

  • Abu Dhabi talks on Ukraine were ‘constructive, positive’, says UAE

    Abu Dhabi talks on Ukraine were ‘constructive, positive’, says UAE

    Abu Dhabi has emerged as a pivotal diplomatic hub following successful trilateral negotiations between the United States, Russia, and Ukraine. The talks, characterized by participants as constructive and positive, mark a significant advancement in international efforts to resolve the ongoing conflict in Eastern Europe.

    According to Afra Al Hameli, Director of Strategic Communications at the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the discussions facilitated direct engagement between Russian and Ukrainian representatives. The negotiations focused on critical elements of the US-proposed peace framework and confidence-building measures designed to pave the way for a comprehensive agreement.

    The UAE government extended particular recognition to US President Donald Trump for his instrumental role in facilitating the dialogue, noting his contribution to reinforcing regional stability and advancing the political track toward peace. This diplomatic initiative builds upon the UAE’s established record as a neutral mediator, having previously hosted multiple rounds of Russia-Ukraine negotiations that resulted in approximately 17 successful prisoner-of-war exchanges.

    ‘Our approach to diplomacy is guided by the fundamental principle that conflicts cannot be resolved without dialogue, and progress is built through sustained engagement,’ stated Al Hameli in an official communication. ‘The UAE remains committed to supporting all efforts that advance peace across various global crises.’

    The successful hosting of these high-stakes talks reinforces Abu Dhabi’s growing stature as an international diplomacy center capable of bringing conflicting parties to the negotiation table under neutral auspices.