A powerful bomb has exploded near railway track in southwest Pakistan, killing at least 19 people

On Sunday, a devastating suicide vehicle bombing targeting a passing passenger train near a railway track in Quetta, a southwestern city of Pakistan, has left at least 19 people dead and more than 70 others injured, official sources confirmed to the Associated Press.

Online footage of the incident shows the extreme force of the detonation flipped two train carriages off the track and ignited a large blaze, with plumes of thick black smoke billowing into the sky over the area. According to witnesses and social media imagery circulating after the attack, the explosion went off in a zone routinely used by Pakistani security forces for deployments. The blast inflicted severe structural damage on multiple nearby buildings and wrecked more than 10 civilian vehicles parked along adjacent roads.

Local medical facilities confirmed they have received all wounded casualties, with 20 patients currently listed in critical condition. Three anonymous security officials, granted anonymity to speak freely to press, told AP that all remains of the deceased have been transferred to city hospitals for identification and processing.

The Baloch Liberation Army (BLA), an outlawed separatist militant group fighting to secede from Pakistan’s federal government, released a statement to journalists claiming credit for the attack. The organization stated the train was targeted because it was carrying Pakistani security personnel.

Quetta is the capital of Pakistan’s restive Balochistan province, a resource-rich region holding large reserves of oil and critical minerals that has dealt with a persistent low-level separatist insurgency for decades. Militant groups operating in the province have repeatedly carried out attacks targeting security personnel, government infrastructure, and civilian populations both within Balochistan and across other parts of Pakistan.

Provincial and national leaders across Pakistan have issued unanimous condemnations of the attack. “We strongly condemn the targeting of innocent civilians and are deeply saddened by the loss of precious human lives. Terrorist elements deserve no leniency,” said Shahid Rind, spokesperson for the Balochistan provincial government. Rind added that a full medical emergency has been activated across all Quetta hospitals to respond to the mass casualty event, and a formal investigation into the attack is already underway.

Pakistan’s Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif labeled the bombing a “cowardly act of terrorism” in a public post on X, extending his official condolences to the families of those killed. Balochistan Chief Minister Sarfraz Bugti also issued a condemnation, noting that the attack killed and injured innocent civilians including women and children, and vowed counter-terrorism forces would hunt down all perpetrators responsible.

Bugti and Pakistan’s federal government in Islamabad regularly refer to the BLA using the term “Fitna al-Hindustan”, claiming the group receives material backing from the Indian government. India has consistently denied all such allegations. Long-running bilateral tensions have defined relations between Pakistan and India, with the two countries having fought two of their three full wars over the disputed Kashmir region, which both nations claim as sovereign territory in its entirety.

While Pakistani federal authorities have repeatedly stated they have largely suppressed the separatist insurgency in Balochistan, violent attacks continue to occur on a regular basis. Earlier in 2024, a separate suicide bombing at a Balochistan train station killed 26 people, including 10 active-duty soldiers.