UN rights chief is concerned about arrest of opposition figures in Zambia’s election

In the wake of a contentious presidential election that has left southern Africa’s copper-rich nation in political turmoil, the United Nations’ top human rights official has sounded the alarm over the controversial arrest of 11 opposition officials, amplifying already simmering tensions over the poll’s final results.

The unrest traces back to election night last Thursday, when Zambian law enforcement units carried out a raid on a property where main opposition leader Brian Mundubile was in attendance. According to official government accounts, the operation erupted into an exchange of gunfire, after which authorities claim to have recovered high-grade military weaponry at the site. Officials assert the 11 detained opposition figures were arrested on grounds that they posed an imminent threat to national state security.

Mundubile, however, has forcefully refuted every element of the government’s narrative. He says the opposition group present at the property was entirely unarmed, and that state agents opened fire on the group unprovoked. Currently, the opposition leader says he is under informal protection over fears for his personal safety, declining to disclose his exact location to the public. He has also added another alarming allegation to the growing controversy: a former opposition minister who was present during the raid was shot and has since gone missing.

The broader election has been fraught with disruption, a notable shift for Zambia, which has a three-decade track record of largely peaceful electoral contests since it reintroduced multiparty democracy in 1991. Vote counting was suspended for multiple hours the day after polls closed, after the national electoral commission reported that election officials faced violence at scattered polling stations, and that a number of ballot papers were stolen. The commission has not named any group or individual responsible for these disruptions.

Late last week, incumbent President Hakainde Hichilema was officially declared the winner of the election, securing a second five-year term in office. Official results show Mundubile, his main challenger, garnered roughly 38 percent of the national vote. But the opposition leader has already rejected the outcome, citing widespread claimed irregularities, and has confirmed his opposition alliance intends to challenge the results in Zambia’s court system.

In a formal statement released Wednesday, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk called on Zambian authorities to immediately end arbitrary arrest practices, and ensure that any individuals detained in connection with post-election unrest are brought before a court without delay to face formal charges. He stressed that all detentions carried out in the wake of the election must comply fully with both international human rights norms and Zambia’s own domestic legal frameworks. As of Wednesday, the Zambian government has not publicly disclosed where the 11 arrested opposition officials are being held, nor has it confirmed what specific criminal charges they will face.