Australia’s Albanese government’s proposed capital gains tax (CGT) reforms have landed a senior cabinet minister in the hot seat, as he faced intense public questioning over his personal financial arrangements while defending the policy. Speaking in a televised interview on Sky News on Sunday, Cabinet Secretary and Assistant Technology Minister Andrew Charlton pushed back against critics, arguing the changes to Australia’s capital gains tax framework will create a fairer system and boost long-term economic growth.
Under the current system, Australian taxpayers are eligible for a 50 percent discount on capital gains for assets held over 12 months. Labor’s reform proposal would adjust this discount to be pegged to inflation, extending the new rule across all asset classes including residential property, publicly traded shares and startup business ventures.
Charlton has rejected widespread claims that the new framework would push Australia’s burgeoning startup sector to relocate overseas in search of more competitive tax treatments. He argued that comparisons between Australia’s proposed new system and international capital gains tax regimes are misleading, noting that the new Australian model taxes only real gains adjusted for inflation, while many other nations tax nominal gains without adjusting for rising prices. “In many cases, our regime will be more generous to assets that have experienced high inflation over a long holding period, a benefit that does not exist in other countries’ systems,” he explained.
The minister framed the reforms as a targeted adjustment that discourages unproductive short-term housing speculation while creating more even taxation across all asset groups. “Some people will pay less under the new system, and others will pay more,” he said. “But overall, the entire system becomes fairer because every investor is taxed evenly on the actual gains they earn, rather than artificial gains driven by inflation. We are not incentivizing the short-term speculation that the old, overly generous CGT framework encouraged.”
Pressed on how the reforms would have impacted his own sale of a private startup he founded earlier in his career, Charlton acknowledged he has held a diverse portfolio of assets over his professional life. “I have built and sold my own business, and I have owned property like many Australians,” he said. “Some of the assets I have held would be treated more generously under the new CGT framework, and others less so. Even with that personal impact, I can say this is a fairer system overall – I would lose out on some sales, gain on others, but the system as a whole is much more equitable.”
The interview also turned to Charlton’s personal use of a discretionary trust, an arrangement that has drawn criticism from opponents who argue it is a common tax workaround. Charlton flatly denied that his trust was established for tax minimization purposes. He explained that setting up a trust alongside a new proprietary limited company is an extremely standard step for Australian entrepreneurs following their accountant’s advice. “The primary purpose of a trust in this context is asset protection, not tax reduction,” he said. “This is exactly what many small business owners across the country do when they launch a new venture, and that was my reason for setting it up.”
Charlton did acknowledge that trusts are sometimes used to reduce tax liabilities, saying “that is precisely why these reforms are needed” while adding that trusts hold a legitimate role in Australian business structure for asset protection purposes. He confirmed all details of his financial dealings are already disclosed on the official government register of ministerial interests.
The Albanese government has faced growing pressure from the business community over the potential impact of CGT reforms on the startup and small business sectors, and recently committed to ongoing consultation with industry stakeholders as part of the latest federal budget. It has also faced criticism over potential impacts of the reforms on trust structures, and the government has not ruled out introducing additional tax exemptions for certain trust arrangements. Responding to questions after Charlton’s interview, opposition housing shadow spokesperson Andrew Bragg disclosed he has never held a personal trust.
