ABUJA, Nigeria – A spate of coordinated militant attacks targeting educational institutions across Nigeria has left more than 80 schoolchildren unaccounted for, local authorities and global human rights organization Amnesty International confirmed Sunday. The abductions mark the latest escalation of a persistent crisis of school kidnappings that has plagued the West African nation, where federal security forces are already engaged in prolonged counterinsurgency operations against multiple jihadi factions and other armed criminal groups.
The first documented assault unfolded between Wednesday and Thursday in the remote Askira Uba and Chibok local government areas of Borno State, Nigeria’s conflict-ravaged northeastern border region. According to official reports, 42 children were abducted from a local primary school in this strike. Amnesty International pinpointed the attack location as Mussa village, a settlement positioned on the edge of Sambisa Forest – the historic core stronghold for Boko Haram, the long-running insurgent group, and its offshoot, the Islamic State-aligned faction Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP).
Just two days later, a separate pair of attacks hit secondary schools in southwestern Nigeria’s Oyo State, an area where large-scale school abductions have historically been extremely rare. Though Amnesty’s Nigeria office initially put the number of abducted children from the two Oyo State schools at no fewer than 40, local government official Peter Wabba from Mussa confirmed Sunday that updated community counts place the total at 48. The attacks were carried out just hours apart from one another, in the Oriire local government area roughly 220 kilometers outside Nigeria’s commercial hub, Lagos.
In its public statement Sunday, Amnesty International issued a stark warning about the cascading social costs of the persistent abduction crisis. The organization noted that widespread fear of kidnapping has already driven thousands of children out of Nigeria’s educational system, with many families pulling underage girls out of classrooms specifically and forcing them into early marriage as a desperate protective measure against attack.
Local families of the missing children expressed growing frustration with the pace of official response. “The government is assuring us that they are doing their possible best to see that these children are rescued but up till now, we are still waiting,” Wabba told the Associated Press in an interview Sunday. Amnesty further criticized Nigerian authorities for longstanding failures to follow through on commitments to address the crisis, saying that officials “never fulfill promises to investigate the incidents and bring the perpetrators to justice,” adding, “Victims and their families continue to be denied access to justice.”
Security officials have made limited progress in the Oyo State case, however. On Saturday, police spokesperson Ayanlade Olayinka confirmed to AP that three suspected gunmen linked to the Oyo attacks had been taken into custody. Olayinka said community members identified the suspects, who were subsequently arrested by local law enforcement. Police have not yet clarified whether additional suspects remain at large in the incident.
Mass school abductions have become one of the most visible markers of systemic insecurity across Nigeria, Africa’s most populous country. While kidnappings for ransom and insurgency-driven abductions are most common in the country’s northern regions, the recent attacks in the southwest mark a troubling expansion of the crisis into previously low-risk areas. In 2023 alone, two high-profile mass school abductions in northern Nigeria shook national public opinion, with more than 300 children taken captive in separate incidents. Security analysts point to a clear strategic logic driving the targeting of schools: armed gangs and insurgent factions view soft, unguarded educational institutions as high-impact targets that generate widespread media and government attention, advancing their political and financial goals.
