A year on from one of the most crushing defeats of his professional career, NSW Blues star halfback Nathan Cleary has opened up about the lingering pain of last year’s State of Origin decider loss, revealing he is turning that devastating disappointment into fuel as his side prepares to kick off the 2025 series on home soil next Wednesday.
The 2024 series came to a humiliating end for the Blues at Sydney’s Accor Stadium, where Queensland Maroons ran riot in the first half to secure a comfortable 12-point victory, wasting NSW’s shot at claiming the championship on home turf. The blow hit the squad hard in the post-game sheds, with Cleary leaving the defeat to process alongside his family, who helped him break down what went wrong on the night.
Reflecting on the loss from Blues training camp this week, Cleary did not sugarcoat the severity of the heartbreak. “It’s never nice losing, but particularly such a big game being a game three Origin at home as well,” he said. “It was devastating, I can’t lie. But you’ve sort of just got to pick yourself back up, dust yourself off, move forward, and get better. There’s no point sort of sulking about it and feeling sorry for yourself. Here we are a year on, and I’m hoping I can use those lessons to play better.”
Cleary explained that the sting of the defeat has become a quiet motivator, pushing him to grow both as an athlete and a person over the past 12 months. “I think you’ve got to grow from it. You can’t live in the past too much, but you can learn from it. That pain is definitely a sort of burning fire there. But I sort of used that last year to try and just get better as a person and as a player.”
The world-class playmaker, who has three State of Origin series wins to his name, has long faced questions over whether he has dominated the iconic representative arena the same way he consistently dominates the NRL for his club side Penrith Panthers. His 2024 decider performance was widely marked as below his usual high standard, leading to renewed public criticism of his Origin form. But Cleary insists that proving external doubters wrong is not what is driving him ahead of the new series.
“It’s not so much doubters (for me) to prove wrong,” he said. “I know what I need from myself, and I’ve been disappointed with my performances in the past. I’d say that I am my own harshest critic. So, it’s not so much about proving doubters wrong, it’s about repaying the faith that Loz (NSW coach Laurie Daley) has shown in me and the Blues have shown in me, but also my family and stuff as well. It’s about repaying that faith and also to myself. I know what I’m capable of and it’s trying to reach those heights.”
Drawing on years of experience in the representative fixture, Cleary noted that State of Origin requires a uniquely sharp focus, given its far higher intensity and fewer chances to seize game-changing moments compared to club football. “I think it’s just you sort of understand Origin is different to club footy, and you just don’t get as many opportunities as you would in regular season games. You’ve got to be prepared to take those and just be willing to put your best foot forward and not step back and just play. It’s the hardest game you’ll play, no doubt. Just the intensity and the physicality of it.”
“As I said before, it’s those minuscule moments. There’s not many that pop up in a game, so you’ve got to be ready to take them. If you miss them, you might not get one again. It’s definitely something that I’ve learnt over time, but you’ve got to put yourself in the frame to be able to take those moments, too.”
This year’s series opener will see Cleary reunite in the halves with Parramatta Eels star Mitchell Moses, marking just the second time the pair have started together at representative level. The duo steered the Blues to a win in last year’s opening game, but a camp injury ruled Moses out ahead of game two, cutting their partnership short before the decider. Despite ongoing questions over whether two specialist halfbacks can successfully coexist in Origin’s halves combination, Cleary said he is confident the pair can build on their strong 2024 opening.
“I always watch Mitch from afar in admiration of his game,” Cleary said. “I think he’s easily one of the best halfbacks in the game and being able to team up with him again – we only got the one game last year – but I thoroughly enjoyed it and looking to build on that now. I hope we can solidify that partnership and grow it. I think Mitch actually grew up as a six, so it’s obviously there for him and he’s got that X-factor about him as well. I thought game one last year we combined pretty well, and that was only off 10 days of preparation or something. So we’re looking to build on that again. It’s just been fun getting to team up with him in these first few days of training and looking to build on it.”
In a side note on team selection, Cleary also defended Bulldogs captain and former Penrith teammate Stephen Crichton, who returned to training on Thursday after missing a session the prior day with a shoulder injury. Crichton has faced heavy criticism for his club form in 2025, but Cleary said the backlash is unfounded, pointing to his long track record of delivering in high-stakes matches.
“He’s never shied away from a big moment,” Cleary said. “I think the criticism is pretty ridiculous. Every time he’s been asked to do a job in a big game, he’s gone over and above. I absolutely love taking the field with him and just his leadership as well, his presence. Every time I look across and I’m next to him on the field, I feel great so I’m happy he’s there.”
