博客

  • France’s Sarkozy says prison a ‘nightmare’ as prosecutors seek his release

    France’s Sarkozy says prison a ‘nightmare’ as prosecutors seek his release

    Former French President Nicolas Sarkozy has labeled his incarceration a ‘nightmare’ as prosecutors seek his release pending an appeals trial over allegations of illegal campaign funding from Libya. Sarkozy, 70, entered prison on October 21, marking the first time a former European Union head of state has been jailed. A lower court in September found him guilty of conspiring to secure funding from Moamer Kadhafi’s Libya for his 2007 presidential campaign, sentencing him to five years in prison. However, the Paris Appeals Court opened a hearing on Monday to consider his release, with a decision expected imminently. Sarkozy appeared via video call from prison, describing the experience as ‘gruelling’ but acknowledged the prison staff had made it ‘bearable.’ Prosecutor Damien Brunet argued that Sarkozy’s release under judicial supervision was justified to mitigate risks of witness tampering or collusion. Sarkozy’s wife, Carla Bruni-Sarkozy, and his sons were present in court to show support. The appeals trial, scheduled for March, will reassess the necessity of his pre-trial detention under French law, which requires such measures only if no alternatives exist to safeguard evidence or prevent reoffending. Sarkozy, who has faced multiple legal challenges since leaving office in 2012, remains a polarizing figure in French politics. His imprisonment has sparked debates over judicial independence and the treatment of high-profile inmates, with prison wardens criticizing the special security measures afforded to him. Meanwhile, Sarkozy’s social media accounts have highlighted the outpouring of public support, including letters and gifts sent to him during his incarceration.

  • Thailand suspends Cambodia deal after landmine injures troops

    Thailand suspends Cambodia deal after landmine injures troops

    Thailand has suspended a peace agreement with Cambodia following a landmine explosion that injured two Thai soldiers near the border. The incident occurred in Sisaket province, leaving one soldier with severe leg injuries and another with chest pains due to the blast’s pressure. The peace deal, brokered under the oversight of former US President Donald Trump, aimed to end hostilities after border clashes in July that resulted in at least 43 deaths and displaced over 300,000 civilians on both sides. Thai government spokesman Siripong Angkasakulkiat announced that Bangkok would halt the implementation of the joint declaration signed in Kuala Lumpur in October, which included plans for mine-clearing operations, the withdrawal of heavy weapons, and the release of 18 detained Cambodian soldiers. Thai Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul expressed concerns that the security threat had not diminished as anticipated. Cambodian authorities have yet to comment on the incident but have previously denied allegations of planting new landmines. Despite the truce holding since July 29, both nations have accused each other of ceasefire violations, and analysts suggest a lasting resolution to the century-old border dispute remains uncertain.

  • Karan Johar over the moon as Martin Scorsese hosts Neeraj Ghaywan’s ‘Homebound’

    Karan Johar over the moon as Martin Scorsese hosts Neeraj Ghaywan’s ‘Homebound’

    Bollywood filmmaker Karan Johar expressed immense joy as legendary Hollywood director Martin Scorsese hosted a special screening of Neeraj Ghaywan’s critically acclaimed film ‘Homebound’ in New York. The event, attended by the film’s lead cast and director, marked a significant milestone for the Indian cinematic masterpiece. Johar took to Instagram to share his gratitude, posting photos from the screening and penning a heartfelt appreciation note for Scorsese. He described the experience as a surreal journey, emphasizing the importance of showcasing ‘Homebound’ to a global audience. The film, which explores themes of friendship, ambition, and societal struggles, has previously been showcased at prestigious festivals such as Cannes 2025, the Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF), and the Indian Film Festival of Melbourne (IFFM). Starring Janhvi Kapoor in a pivotal role, ‘Homebound’ tells the story of two childhood friends from a North Indian village striving for dignity through a police job, only to face challenges that test their bond.

  • South Africa’s apartheid-era crimes inquiry is delayed over legal objections

    South Africa’s apartheid-era crimes inquiry is delayed over legal objections

    An investigation into claims that South Africa’s post-apartheid governments obstructed justice in prosecuting apartheid-era crimes faced an immediate setback on its opening day. The inquiry, ordered by President Cyril Ramaphosa in April following years of pressure from victims’ families, was delayed due to objections against Ishmael Semenya, the chief evidence leader. Critics argue that Semenya’s prior involvement in drafting a controversial prosecutorial policy, later deemed unconstitutional, compromises his impartiality. Judge Sisi Khampepe, overseeing the inquiry, has given the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) and the justice department until Wednesday to formally request Semenya’s recusal. The proceedings are now set to resume on November 26. The inquiry stems from decades of frustration over the lack of prosecutions for crimes committed during apartheid, which officially ended in 1994. The Truth and Reconciliation Commission, established in 1996 by Nelson Mandela, identified around 150 cases for prosecution, but many perpetrators escaped accountability. Recent efforts by the government to address this legacy include new investigations into historical killings, such as the 1967 death of ANC leader Albert Luthuli, now confirmed as a beating rather than a train accident. Families of victims continue to seek justice, with some filing lawsuits against the government for damages and transparency.

  • UAE: Demand for autonomous vehicles grows, outpaces capacity

    UAE: Demand for autonomous vehicles grows, outpaces capacity

    The United Arab Emirates (UAE) is witnessing an unprecedented surge in demand for autonomous vehicles, significantly outpacing the existing operational capacity. Hasan Al Hosani, CEO of Smart Solutions, Space42, revealed this trend during a panel discussion at the Abu Dhabi Autonomous Week 2025. Since their initial deployment between late 2020 and 2021, autonomous taxis have completed over 600,000 kilometers in full four-mode operation, with more than 20,000 trips successfully executed. However, the current demand is three times the operational capacity, indicating a strong public embrace of this cutting-edge technology. Al Hosani emphasized the public’s enthusiasm for exploring hands-free and person-free transportation solutions.

  • Four into one – how do African World Cup play-offs work?

    Four into one – how do African World Cup play-offs work?

    The race for the 2026 FIFA World Cup intensifies as four African nations—Cameroon, DR Congo, Gabon, and Nigeria—compete in a high-stakes play-off tournament in Morocco. Having missed out on the continent’s nine automatic qualification spots, these teams will face off in a winner-takes-all mini-tournament to secure their chance to advance further. The victorious team will still need to navigate one or two additional matches to reach the global tournament in Canada, Mexico, and the United States. The quartet earned their place in the play-offs as the best second-placed finishers across Africa’s nine qualifying groups, with Gabon leading the pack, followed by DR Congo, Cameroon, and Nigeria. The semi-final pairings were determined by FIFA world rankings, with Nigeria (41st) set to face Gabon (77th), and Cameroon (54th) taking on DR Congo (60th) on Thursday. The winners will clash on Sunday for the opportunity to keep their World Cup dreams alive. All matches will be held in Rabat, Morocco. The African play-off winner will progress to a six-team intercontinental qualifier in March 2026, where they will compete against teams from Concacaf, Asia, Oceania, and South America for the final two World Cup spots. The draw for the intercontinental play-offs, featuring single-leg knockout matches, will take place on November 20. Nigeria, despite being the highest-ranked team, had a challenging qualifying campaign, while Cameroon, DR Congo, and Gabon aim to overcome their own struggles to secure a historic berth in the 2026 World Cup.

  • Egyptians begin voting in parliamentary elections; results expected by Dec 25

    Egyptians begin voting in parliamentary elections; results expected by Dec 25

    Egyptians commenced voting on Monday in a pivotal parliamentary election, a process that will span several weeks to determine the composition of the lower house. Polling stations opened at 9:00 am (0700 GMT), initiating the election of 568 out of 596 seats in the House of Representatives. The remaining 28 lawmakers will be directly appointed by President Abdel Fattah Al Sisi. Voting timelines vary across regions, with some areas, including Cairo, not casting ballots until November 24. Egyptians abroad participated in the election on Friday and Saturday. Final results are anticipated by December 25. The election employs a dual system, with half of the seats allocated through closed party lists and the other half via individual candidates. Notably, a quarter of the seats are reserved for women. This parliamentary vote follows the senate elections held two months prior, which saw a low turnout of approximately 17%. The pro-government ‘National List for Egypt’ coalition, which dominated the senate elections, is expected to maintain its stronghold. Leading the coalition are the pro-Sisi Mostaqbal Watan (Nation’s Future) party and the National Front party, headed by former minister Essam Al Gazzar. Gazzar’s newly formed party, backed by business tycoon Ibrahim Al Organi, a close ally of Sisi, unites former government officials. Meanwhile, opposition groups remain fragmented, with some running independently and others aligning with pro-government lists. Analysts highlight the election’s significance, as it is the last before Sisi’s third and final term concludes in 2030. Timothy Kaldas of the Tahrir Institute for Middle East Policy emphasized that Sisi requires a parliament under his full control to potentially extend his tenure beyond 2030, necessitating constitutional amendments. The 2019 constitutional revisions extended Sisi’s term from four to six years and retroactively counted his previous term as his first, enabling him to remain in office until 2030. In 2022, Sisi’s administration initiated a national dialogue, ostensibly to engage with the marginalized opposition.

  • Lhasa’s GDP grows 7.1 percent in first three quarters of 2025

    Lhasa’s GDP grows 7.1 percent in first three quarters of 2025

    Lhasa, the capital of the Xizang Autonomous Region, has reported a significant economic upswing in the first three quarters of 2025. According to local authorities, the city’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP) reached 75.39 billion yuan ($10.58 billion), marking a 7.1 percent increase compared to the same period last year. This growth was announced during a press conference held on Thursday, highlighting the region’s economic resilience and development momentum.

    The city’s primary industry saw a notable rise, with an added value of 1.48 billion yuan, up by 9 percent year-on-year. The secondary industry also experienced substantial growth, expanding by 8.8 percent to reach an added value of 34 billion yuan. Meanwhile, the tertiary industry, which includes services and tourism, grew by 6 percent, contributing 39.81 billion yuan to the overall GDP.

    Lhasa’s economic performance is a testament to the region’s strategic initiatives and its ability to attract tourists and investors alike. The Jokhang Temple, a prominent tourist attraction, continues to draw visitors, further boosting the local economy. This positive economic trajectory underscores Lhasa’s role as a key economic hub in the Xizang Autonomous Region.

  • Abhishek Bachchan mourns loss of his makeup artist Ashok Sawant

    Abhishek Bachchan mourns loss of his makeup artist Ashok Sawant

    Bollywood actor Abhishek Bachchan has expressed profound grief over the passing of his long-time makeup artist, Ashok Sawant, who had been an integral part of his professional and personal life for over 27 years. In a deeply emotional Instagram post, Bachchan remembered Sawant not merely as a colleague but as a cherished member of his family. The actor fondly referred to him as ‘Ashok dada,’ highlighting their bond that transcended the professional realm. Sawant, who had been Bachchan’s makeup artist since his debut film, was described as a loving, gentle, and affable individual who always carried a smile and warm embrace. Despite his health struggles in recent years, Sawant remained deeply involved in Bachchan’s work, ensuring his assistant took meticulous care of the actor’s makeup. Bachchan also recalled Sawant’s thoughtful gestures, such as bringing homemade snacks like ‘namkeen chivda’ and ‘bhakar wadi’ to the sets. The actor expressed his gratitude for Sawant’s unwavering love, care, dignity, and talent, concluding his tribute with heartfelt thanks for the memories they shared. The news of Sawant’s demise has left the Bollywood fraternity and fans mourning the loss of a dedicated and beloved professional.

  • Co-hosting games boosts GBA integration

    Co-hosting games boosts GBA integration

    The 15th National Games, currently underway, have made history by involving Hong Kong and Macao as co-hosts for the first time in a national-level sports event. This unprecedented collaboration is seen as a significant milestone in the integration and development of the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area (GBA). The event not only showcases the region’s ability to host large-scale international competitions but also strengthens ties between the mainland and the two Special Administrative Regions (SARs). Experts believe that this initiative will foster deeper economic, cultural, and social cooperation within the GBA, paving the way for a more unified and prosperous region. The Games serve as a platform to highlight the GBA’s potential as a global hub for sports, innovation, and collaboration.