博客

  • Trump says he has just signed bill to release Epstein files

    Trump says he has just signed bill to release Epstein files

    In a significant development, former US President Donald Trump announced on Wednesday night via Truth Social that he had signed the Epstein Files Transparency Act. This legislation mandates the Department of Justice (DOJ) to disclose all unclassified records, documents, and investigative materials related to the late financier Jeffrey Epstein and his associates, including Ghislaine Maxwell. The bill, which had been stalled for months, gained momentum after bipartisan efforts led by Democratic Representative Ro Khanna and Republican Representative Thomas Massie secured the necessary signatures for a discharge petition. The House and Senate swiftly approved the bill earlier this week, marking a pivotal moment in the ongoing Epstein saga. Epstein, who had ties to numerous high-profile figures, died in prison in 2019 under controversial circumstances. Trump’s decision to sign the bill follows his 2024 campaign promise to release Epstein-related documents, despite earlier DOJ assertions that no incriminating client list or evidence of foul play existed. The move has sparked political tensions, with Democrats accusing Trump of attempting to deflect attention from his own connections to Epstein, while Republicans have countered by releasing a larger volume of Epstein-related files implicating prominent Democrats. Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer criticized Trump, emphasizing the need for transparency and accountability for all individuals involved in Epstein’s crimes. The release of these files is expected to shed light on one of the most scandalous chapters in recent US history.

  • Woman jailed for 20 years over murder of Australian surfer brothers

    Woman jailed for 20 years over murder of Australian surfer brothers

    A 23-year-old woman, Ari Gisell, has been sentenced to two decades in prison for her involvement in the tragic murders of three tourists during a carjacking in Mexico last year. The victims, Australian brothers Jake and Callum Robinson and their American friend Carter Rhoad, were on a surfing trip in Baja California in April 2024 when they were brutally killed. Their bodies were discovered with gunshot wounds to the head in a deep well. Gisell pleaded guilty to instigating the violent assault, which was reportedly motivated by her desire for the tyres on the surfers’ vehicle. She instructed her then-boyfriend, Jesús Gerardo, to ‘bring me a good phone and good tyres for my pickup truck,’ according to court testimonies. Jesús Gerardo, along with two other accomplices, Irineo Francisco and Ángel Jesús, followed the tourists to their campsite, robbed them, and executed them. The cases against these three men remain ongoing. Jesús Gerardo and Irineo Francisco are allegedly linked to the Sinaloa drug cartel, once led by the infamous Joaquín ‘El Chapo’ Guzmán, and are currently held in maximum-security prisons. The victims’ families, appearing via video conference, expressed profound grief during the hearing. Callum and Jake’s mother, Debra Robinson, lamented, ‘We dreamed of seeing them grow older, of having children. That’s all taken now.’ Callum, 33, was a member of Australia’s national lacrosse team, while Jake, 30, was set to begin a new job as a doctor upon his return. Carter Rhoad, 30, was months away from marrying his fiancée, Natalie Wiertz, who described her life as ‘a nightmare’ since his death. Gisell offered a tearful apology in court, acknowledging that ‘nothing I can say will compensate you or give you peace.’

  • UAE residents welcome removal of minimum salary for loans; experts advise caution

    UAE residents welcome removal of minimum salary for loans; experts advise caution

    The UAE Central Bank’s decision to eliminate the minimum salary requirement for personal loans has been met with widespread enthusiasm among residents, though financial experts urge caution. The move, which allows banks to set their own minimum thresholds based on internal risk policies, is expected to expand access to credit for thousands of previously unbanked individuals, particularly low-income workers. However, concerns have been raised about the potential for increased borrowing for non-essential purposes. Pakistani expat Mohammed Haroon, a Dubai-based driver earning Dh4,000 monthly, expressed relief, stating the policy change came at a crucial time as he sought funds for his daughter’s wedding. Financial advisor KV Shamsuddeen highlighted the dual impact of the policy, noting it could reduce reliance on illegal loan sharks but also lead to unnecessary debt accumulation. He emphasized the need for enhanced financial literacy programs to educate workers on responsible borrowing. Industry analysts predict the shift will spur innovative lending products, such as micro-financing and savings-linked credit options, tailored to entry-level employees. While the policy is seen as a progressive step toward financial inclusion, experts stress the importance of cautious implementation to mitigate risks.

  • Dubai: New solid-line road markings surprise daily commuters, lead to fines

    Dubai: New solid-line road markings surprise daily commuters, lead to fines

    Dubai’s daily commuters have been taken aback by the sudden appearance of new solid-line road markings on major routes such as Ittihad Road, Baghdad Street, the Airport Tunnel, E311, and E611. These ‘no passing lines,’ designed to regulate traffic flow, have left many drivers struggling to adapt, resulting in unexpected fines. The markings, which are positioned close to exits, have made quick lane changes difficult for motorists accustomed to the previous patterns. According to the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA), these continuous white lines prohibit overtaking, lane switching, or turning, and violations incur penalties. Residents like Basha S, who frequently use these roads, have expressed frustration over the lack of prior notice or signage. Basha recently received a Dh400 fine for overtaking on one of the new lines, stating that the markings appeared suddenly without warning. Similarly, C George, a commuter on E311, was fined after unintentionally crossing a solid line near Exit 63. While some drivers acknowledge the safety benefits of the new system, they have called for clearer communication and advance warnings to help them adjust. Ahmed Salah, a daily driver on Airport Tunnel Road, emphasized the need for signage indicating ‘no lane change ahead’ to prevent fines and confusion. Motorists have urged authorities to provide better guidance as the new markings are rolled out, stressing that while safety measures are welcome, smoother implementation is essential.

  • US approves $93m arms sale to India as trade tensions ease

    US approves $93m arms sale to India as trade tensions ease

    The United States has greenlit two significant arms sales to India, totaling $92.8 million, as announced by the US State Department. The deals include the provision of Javelin anti-tank missiles and Excalibur precision artillery projectiles. This decision follows a meeting nine months prior between Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and former US President Donald Trump in Washington, where both leaders pledged to enhance defense collaboration. In October, this commitment culminated in the signing of a 10-year framework agreement aimed at bolstering defense cooperation. The move aligns with India’s strategy to diversify its arms procurement away from Russia, spurred by reports that Trump encouraged India to increase its purchases of US-manufactured weaponry. While Russia has historically been India’s primary arms supplier, its market share has significantly decreased from 62% in 2017 to 34% in 2023. Conversely, India’s defense trade with the US has skyrocketed from nearly zero to $20 billion, positioning the US as India’s third-largest arms supplier, trailing only Russia and France. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) emphasized that these arms sales would enhance India’s ability to address current and future security threats. The $45.7 million Javelin Missile System package includes 100 FGM-148 Javelin rounds, one ‘fly-to-buy’ missile, and 25 lightweight command launch units, along with simulation rounds, trainers, spare parts, and technical support. A separate $47.1 million deal covers up to 216 M982A1 Excalibur tactical projectiles, fire-control systems, primers, propellant charges, technical data, and repair services. The DSCA highlighted that these sales would bolster the US’s foreign policy and national security objectives by strengthening its strategic alliance with India, which it described as a pivotal force for political stability, peace, and economic progress in the Indo-Pacific and South Asia. The DSCA also noted that India would seamlessly integrate the new equipment into its armed forces. This development occurs as the US and India work to finalize a trade agreement and mitigate tensions following Trump’s imposition of 50% tariffs on Indian imports, including a 25% levy on purchases of Russian oil and arms. However, these tensions appear to be easing after months of uncertainty.

  • Japan’s business community urges dialogue

    Japan’s business community urges dialogue

    Prominent figures from Japan’s business and civil sectors have called for sustained and constructive dialogue with China, warning that reckless political actions could severely damage bilateral economic ties. This appeal follows controversial remarks by Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi regarding Taiwan, which sparked strong protests from Beijing. Yoshinobu Tsutsui, chairman of the Japan Business Federation, emphasized the importance of political stability as a foundation for economic exchanges, urging the government to prioritize dialogue. Ken Kobayashi of the Japan Chamber of Commerce and Industry highlighted the inseparable economic relationship between the two nations, while Mutsuo Iwai of the Japan Association of Corporate Executives stressed the need to maintain private-sector engagement. Political economist Kazuyuki Hamada criticized Takaichi’s lack of insight into Japan-China relations, expressing concerns over potential regional tensions and the economic fallout from reduced Chinese tourism and student exchanges. China remains Japan’s largest source of tourists and international students, with significant economic implications. Masaaki Kanai, director-general of the Japanese Foreign Ministry’s Asian and Oceanian Affairs Bureau, recently visited China, with hopes of fostering future-oriented proposals to rebuild bilateral relations. Experts warn that prolonged tensions could disrupt trade, investment, and supply chains, with broader regional and global consequences.

  • Mayors, city planners explore Nanjing

    Mayors, city planners explore Nanjing

    Nanjing, the capital of Jiangsu Province, recently hosted a gathering of mayors and city planners from across the globe to exchange insights on green transformation, cultural heritage preservation, and smart governance. The event, held on Wednesday, highlighted Nanjing’s commitment to sustainable urban development and its rich historical legacy. Participants visited Yuhuatai High School to witness a campus soccer match, showcasing the city’s emphasis on youth engagement and sports infrastructure. Nanjing’s dedication to fostering a soccer culture was evident in its 294 national youth campus soccer specialty schools and the construction of 180 new soccer fields over the past five years. Alessandro Rapinese, Mayor of Como, Italy, praised Nanjing’s energy and competitiveness, which he experienced firsthand on the soccer field. The delegation also explored the Nanjing City Wall Museum and Zhonghua Gate Wengcheng, marveling at the city’s meticulous preservation of its Ming Dynasty heritage. The Nanjing City Wall, built in 1366, remains the world’s longest and best-preserved ancient city wall, while Zhonghua Gate Wengcheng stands as a testament to China’s architectural ingenuity. Over the three-day visit, participants embarked on a diverse itinerary, including a research vessel tour to observe finless porpoises, a visit to a bug studio to study insect traces, and a tour of Nanjing Iron and Steel Group Company to witness its green transformation efforts. The event also featured a World Literature Salon, where mayors read Chinese and English poetry, fostering cross-cultural dialogue. Mohamed Higazy, a board member of the Egyptian Council for Foreign Affairs, lauded Nanjing as a model city that balances heritage preservation with forward-looking development. Thomas Himmler, Director of Foreign Affairs in Dietfurt, Germany, expressed his admiration for Nanjing’s warmth and cultural richness, emphasizing his goal to bridge understanding between Germany and China.

  • China opposes Japan’s bid for permanent UN seat

    China opposes Japan’s bid for permanent UN seat

    China has firmly opposed Japan’s bid for a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council, citing Japan’s recent comments on Taiwan as evidence of its disqualification. During the UN General Assembly’s annual debate on Security Council reform, Fu Cong, China’s permanent representative to the UN, stated that Japan is ‘totally unqualified’ for such a position. Fu highlighted Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi’s ‘brazen and provocative’ remarks on Taiwan, where she suggested that a ‘Taiwan contingency’ could threaten Japan’s survival and hinted at potential military intervention in the Taiwan Strait under the guise of collective self-defense. Fu condemned these statements as a severe violation of the one-China principle and a gross interference in China’s internal affairs. He warned that Japan’s actions undermine the postwar international order and its commitment to peaceful development. Fu questioned Japan’s intentions, asking whether it seeks to revive militarism and whether it can be trusted to uphold international peace and justice. He urged Japan to cease its interference in China’s affairs and retract its provocative statements. Fu also emphasized that any military intervention by Japan in the Taiwan Strait would be met with a firm response from China, including the exercise of its right to self-defense under international law. The Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (DPRK) also voiced opposition to Japan’s bid, citing Japan’s failure to address its past crimes and its ongoing efforts to revise its Peace Constitution. The DPRK’s representative, Kim Song, argued that allowing Japan a permanent seat would insult the UN Charter and international justice. Japan, which has served 12 times as a non-permanent member of the Security Council, has long sought a permanent seat, but its recent actions have drawn significant criticism from key UN members.

  • Chinese innovations hog limelight at Dubai air show

    Chinese innovations hog limelight at Dubai air show

    The Dubai Airshow 2025 became a stage for Chinese aviation innovations, as a wide array of cutting-edge products, from domestically developed jetliners to advanced drones, made their debut. This event significantly bolstered China’s presence in the global aviation sector. The Aero Engine Corporation of China showcased its latest technologies, marking the company’s most extensive overseas exhibition of homegrown aero engines to date. Among the highlights were the C919 and C909 passenger jets, which made their first appearances in the Middle East. The C919, operated by China Southern Airlines, features a modern cabin design with eco-friendly materials and a theme of ‘oriental grace.’ Visitors and industry professionals alike praised the aircraft for its comfort and stability. The Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China (COMAC) is actively seeking potential overseas clients, with over 170 C909 jets already delivered to domestic and foreign customers. The event also featured the Lanying R6000, the world’s first 6-ton-class tiltrotor aircraft, which holds significant potential for heavy-lift scenarios in the Middle East. Additionally, Chinese-manufactured unmanned aerial vehicles and electric vertical takeoff and landing aircraft garnered substantial attention, further solidifying China’s role as a key player in the global aviation industry.

  • Congress acts swiftly to force release of Epstein files

    Congress acts swiftly to force release of Epstein files

    In a rare display of bipartisan unity, the United States Congress has taken decisive action to compel the release of Justice Department files related to the late financier and convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. The House of Representatives passed the resolution with an overwhelming vote of 427-1, swiftly followed by approval from the Republican-majority Senate. The bill is now poised for President Donald Trump’s signature, which could occur as early as Wednesday. This move marks a significant shift in Trump’s stance, as he had previously opposed the release of these documents for months. The Epstein scandal has been a persistent source of political friction for Trump, with many of his supporters believing that his administration has obscured Epstein’s connections to influential figures and the circumstances surrounding his 2019 death, which was officially ruled a suicide. The pressure for transparency intensified when approximately two dozen survivors of Epstein’s alleged abuse joined lawmakers outside the Capitol to advocate for the release of the records. These women, holding photographs of their younger selves, shared their harrowing experiences and urged accountability. Following the vote, survivors and advocates applauded lawmakers from the public gallery, some visibly emotional. Despite his eventual support for the bill, Trump expressed frustration over the ongoing attention to the Epstein matter, lashing out at a reporter during a press briefing and denying any personal involvement with Epstein. The White House was reportedly surprised by the speed at which the measure passed through Congress, anticipating a lengthier deliberation in the Senate. The controversy has impacted Trump’s public approval, with a recent Reuters/Ipsos poll revealing his lowest approval rating this year, particularly regarding his handling of the Epstein case. Only 20% of voters overall and 44% of Republicans expressed satisfaction with his approach to the matter.