LONDON – Nearly 10 years after the deadliest residential fire in modern British history claimed 72 lives at London’s Grenfell Tower, Metropolitan Police announced Tuesday that investigators will submit cases against 57 individuals and 20 organizations to public prosecutors, to review potential criminal charges over the disaster.
According to police, all compiled evidence files will be delivered to the Crown Prosecution Service by the end of September this year, with a final charging decision scheduled for June 14, 2027 – exactly 10 years after the 2017 blaze that ripped through the 24-storey west London public housing block. For bereaved families and survivors who have waited years for accountability, any additional delay to justice would be impossible to accept.
The 2017 disaster began when a small fourth-floor apartment kitchen fire broke out in the early hours of June 14. Instead of being contained, the fire spread rapidly up the building’s exterior, fueled by highly combustible cladding panels that had been installed during a recent renovation. The blaze tore through the entire tower in just minutes, trapping residents inside and killing 72 people – among them 18 children and multiple elderly retirees. It remains the worst fire disaster the United Kingdom has experienced since World War II.
A damning multi-year public inquiry released its final findings in 2024, concluding that all 72 deaths were entirely preventable. The report laid out a devastating chain of failure: private manufacturing and construction companies cut corners to use cheap, non-fire-resistant cladding materials and engaged in widespread, systematic dishonesty to hide safety risks. These corporate failures were compounded by incompetent industry regulators and systemic government negligence that failed to enforce basic building safety rules, allowing the lethal cladding to be wrapped around the 25-story building full of working-class residents.
Grenfell United, the advocacy group representing many bereaved families and survivors, said frustration has mounted after years of waiting. “We have waited almost a decade for accountability,” the group said. “No family should have to wait over 10 years for justice for their loved ones, if it comes at all.”
Investigators confirmed that potential criminal charges under consideration include corporate gross negligence manslaughter, fraud, and breaches of UK health and safety legislation. The probe into the disaster stands as the largest and most complex criminal investigation in the Metropolitan Police’s history: officers have collected more than 165 million electronic documents, and reviewed the potential roles of 15,000 individuals and 700 different organizations connected to the tower’s design, construction and renovation.
